What's new

HowTo Free up hard disk space version 2

leeshor

Some of this was covered in this thread. I'm going to cover some of that and more and attempt to keep it simple.

Getting and freeing up additional disk space.

So many questions about running out of disk space, this may help. I take zero responsibility for what may happen using these suggestions. Use them wisely.

There is one location on your disk that does not appear by default. That one spot can accumulate a lot of files you may never see. This is how to find and delete them.

1st thing
This step must come prior to the following step. Go to the control panel. Find "Folder Options" or "File Explorer Options" (depending on the version of Windows you are using). Open that then click the view tab. click on "Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives" (no problem if you don't see that exact verbiage).

Now you will be able to see the previously hidden folder by going to
C:\users\yourusername\appdata\local\temp. Delete all the files that will delete, (some current ones won't)

2nd thing
In Windows Explorer right click on your Local C: drive, left click on properties, click the disk cleanup button. For most of you the next screen will present you with yet another disk cleanup button to the left of where the first one was. Click that one. The next screen will look similar to the last screen and will contain a list of things that can be deleted, including logs and possibly some leftover updates. (note that one of the item may be your old Windows if you did an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 so be careful if you don't want to lose that). After checking the items to delete and clicking delete files you will need to do a restart of Windows for it to complete. Give it a few minutes o settle down as it' doing some background maintenance.

3rd thing
Grab a copy of CCleaner. Be certain to double check the defaults so that you don't delete some possibly important cookies and/or passwords. Analyze and clean.

4th thing
Go to c:\windows\temp and delete those files. There may not be a lot there but every little bit helps.

If you still think something is taking up some space that shouldn't be double check your download folder to make certain you haven't forgotten a download that can be deleted or off-loaded to external storage.

Extreme Caution follows and not all commands may work on your system

You can also execute the following commands at an elevated command prompt:

(Note that the following command should be in your scheduled tasks)
This command will remove files needed if you need to uninstall service packs. You won’t be able to uninstall any currently installed service packs after running this command:
DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded

The following command will remove all old versions of every component. You won’t be able to uninstall any currently installed service packs or updates after this completes:
DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

This is a utility you may want to try. It cleaned up 3.2GB of files on my system.
PatchCleaner - safely clean your windows installer directory | homedev - software development out of the box I strongly suggest moving those files rather than deleting them.

lparsons21

Instead of battling the disk space issue with these relatively small SSDs, I just use the cloud for most of my data or at least the data that I can direct that way. Of course, I also have a copy of that data on an external hard drive that is just for that purpose. Takes the worry about running out of space away.