What's new

Excellent Pen [video]

Garry9600

Hi forum,

I wanted to share with you just how excellent a brand new Surface Pro 3 i5 8GB RAM works.

All updates up to mid-November (at that time up to date) were installed. I had several restarts. I contacted support, but no one was able to help.

A short description of what can be seen in the video
1. It was impossible to close a tab, because the pointer would drift away to the opposite. See video. Yes, I can use the finger (or CTRL-W for that matter). No, that is not a solution for a 1400 Euro product.

2. The sensitivity of the pen is horrible. It works decent, if you apply quite a lot of pressure. In the video you can see I am having trouble highlighting stuff. This is not acceptable.

3. Writing is a pain. If you write quickly you will (very) frequently miss the first few millimeters of your letters. This is due to the missing sensitivity and produces horrific results. This is not actually shown in the video, but the reason for this problem is seen, so I thought I might as well add this.

Needless to say this product has gone back to the store. I was (and still am) disappointed and conclude that Microsoft still has a long way to go to make this a decent piece of hardware. Maybe the SP4, or 5?

The idea is great, but this is not ready. I cannot recommend a Surface Pro 3 i5 256GB SSD to anyone.

However, different people think differently. Which is a good thing.

PS: Yes, the title is pure irony. The rest -unfortunately- isn't.

That video is crazy!! Just to add my 2 cents worth: I've had my sp3 since June and I use it and the pen everyday and I've never seen anything even remotely like what's on your video. That is NOT normal - you either have a defective sp3 or digitizer. Or you've got some kind of strange virus.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I got my SP3 I expected to use the pen a bit.... but I actually use it ALL the time. Even when in full desktop mode using a desktop program with the keyboard I still use the pen to interact with the screen as I find using the pen and touch much quicker than using the track pad. About 70% of the time when I use my SP3 I use it in tablet mode with the keyboard folded back and I'm either using the pen or my finger to navigate. I LOVE it. I don't even find I need to put it somewhere as most of the time my Surface is switched on I have the pen in my hand because I'm using it, contrary to reports I've actually found the pen loop works OK, sure it's not the most elegant solution, but despite me removing and reattaching it when I first got it, it's still attached to the surface cover and I use it whenever I finish using the surface but don't want to put it back in it's slip case (as there's a penholder on the slip case so I put it there when it's in the case).

However I did have some issues with having to press really hard at first, but ONLY really noticeable in the Freshpaint app. As suggested I removed and reinserted the pen nib and it worked fine after that. I love the accuracy of writing with the pen. It's brill. There's definitely something wrong with yours!

kozak79

One of my replacement SP3's had a bad digitizer, kept registering touch in upper left corner. Got it replaced and the new one is perfect.

SRVwannab

Regarding the video- I don't use the video for cursor control. I use a mouse for that (or, in a pinch the trackpad). But, just to see how it would work, I was able to do exactly what you were unable to do with your pen, with my pen, effortlessly.

When it comes to writing. While my experience isn't perfect, miscues with the pen are the exception rather than the rule for me.

Sorry for the long answer when I should have just said what the others have said- I believe you have a defective unit.