What's new

Ethernet Dropping

puma

Hey guys, so I been trying to use my sp3 as my main work machine. Here and there.. I am getting the Ethernet.. drop or reset in a way where it no longer sees the network however the internet works. Anyone else experience this? I am wondering if this may be due to the hub I am using which connected the Ethernet dongle.

Really frustrating when your in the middle of work and the network drops requiring a reboot.

dman27

Check to see if you have an update waiting to be installed. However, this update was really addressing the Wifi dropping, but may make a difference for your Ethernet connection.

OP
P

puma

upload_2014-7-16_21-42-26.png

Cool just saw this on updates

logger

Old thread I now, but my recent experience may be of use to others.

My Ethernet by way of the docking station > router has been continually dropping out over the past few day. Falling back to WiFi. I am on Windows 10.

I tried various fixes;
ReDock SP3, Different LAN cable, reboot SP3, remove/uninstall Ethernet adapter from Device Manager, Checked windows update. All to no avail. Ethernet would return briefly then drop out. Unable to establish Internet connection, No IPv4 or IPv6 connection or IP. Interestingly my Fritzbox router could readily see the SP3 connected at 1Gbit/s and was displaying its mac address.

The fix was surprisingly simple.
Remove the power lead from the Docking Station for a couple of minutes having undocked the SP3.

Connected it all up again and good as gold ever since. I had overlooked the fact my Docking Station & Ethernet adapter therein had probably been powered continuously for a month or more. Cycling the power to it seems to have reset and fixed whatever was amiss. I gleaned this suggestion from a Google search and thought it worth mentioning here in case anyone else has the same issue.

glr

Old thread I now, but my recent experience may be of use to others.

My Ethernet by way of the docking station > router has been continually dropping out over the past few day. Falling back to WiFi. I am on Windows 10.

I tried various fixes;
ReDock SP3, Different LAN cable, reboot SP3, remove/uninstall Ethernet adapter from Device Manager, Checked windows update. All to no avail. Ethernet would return briefly then drop out. Unable to establish Internet connection, No IPv4 or IPv6 connection or IP. Interestingly my Fritzbox router could readily see the SP3 connected at 1Gbit/s and was displaying its mac address.

The fix was surprisingly simple.
Remove the power lead from the Docking Station for a couple of minutes having undocked the SP3.

Connected it all up again and good as gold ever since. I had overlooked the fact my Docking Station & Ethernet adapter therein had probably been powered continuously for a month or more. Cycling the power to it seems to have reset and fixed whatever was amiss. I gleaned this suggestion from a Google search and thought it worth mentioning here in case anyone else has the same issue.

I experienced the same thing and your solution worked for me...thanks for your post.

Oddly, however, in an effort to isolate the problem I used a USB ethernet connection and my connection still dropped. So the Dock was not a suspect for me.

logger

Excellent glad to hear rebooting the dock worked & is a good one to have filed away..
For me it was easy to overlook that the dock power keeps Ethernet adapter up and running too and does more than simply power the Surface Pro.

Last edited: