Drilling sound on SP3

razy60

Ahh that's the dentist's pro version
clear.png

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

No oil struck yet!

I am going to take it back to the retailer and am just arming myself with the consumer guarantees act over here. I am entitled to a replacement (and not just a repair) if my issue meets the following:

• a reasonable consumer wouldn’t have bought it if they had known it would break so easily
  • it is significantly different to what was described to you
  • it’s not fit for its purpose and can’t easily be made fit for purpose
  • it is unsafe
do you think my issue fits any/all of those statements? I think the first point is easy to argue, but what are the specific issues with having a fan which is making that kind of noise - apart from being VERY annoyingly loud

razy60

Does it get hot(when I say hot enough to be unbearable) in the top right area if so then maybe point 4 might be valid,
point 3 at a push as it needs to be taken apart to fix and as its a sealed system it means breaking it to do so.

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

It does get hot, but to be honest it did before the noise and I assumed this was standard with the surface pro line - my pro 1 was ridiculous!

Liam2349

You can argue that the device was manufactured to a poorer standard than you would expect, as other SP3s (like mine) do not do this.

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

Took it to the store and unbelievably it didn't make the sound (!!!!!). I was so frustrated but she says they have to take it on to test.

Anyone know how I can manually increase heat of the cpu? Usually opening child of light would do it, but not happening.

razy60

Took it to the store and unbelievably it didn't make the sound (!!!!!). I was so frustrated but she says they have to take it on to test.

Anyone know how I can manually increase heat of the cpu? Usually opening child of light would do it, but not happening.
Use Google chrome then YouTube that normally does it, failing that a number of graphically heavy websites (battlelog for me) seems to do the trick again in chrome.

herpderp

I had a similar sound on my SP3 for one day, then it stopped. Now it does only makes noises when being tilted.

To force the fans to go on i wrote a little script that checks if a number from 1 to infinity is prime and run this 4 times at once.