What's new

Cannot detach tablet - 3D Paint Running

Nozmo

Hi, I am new to this forum. Just purchased a 15 inch Surface Book 2, which we use for video processing, along with other office work. This replaced a 4 year old Dell XPS.

My problem is with detaching the tablet. I am constantly getting the message of a that something must be resolved before detaching. The problem is Pain 3D. Even if the program is not open, it needs to be opened and then closed. This happens about every hour the computer is on.

How can this be stopped? I have seen other threads online about this issue after a recent Windows update. My windows is 1709 from just a few days ago - when this problem started. I have seen some suggest uninstalling and reinstalling this program. Any thoughts on this. Going into the Powershell is probably outside my skill set. Thanks.

Table Mode.PNG

chekhonte

Nobody's done a teardown of the 15 inch yet so nothing is confirmed. I suspect that the GPU is in the base like it was on the last surface book. I know when I play a game the fan in the base goes into overdrive. Most likely that program is using the nvidia GPU and it can't swap to the intel gpu which is in the tablet with out encountering problems. Rather than fixing the problem they just put in a check with the last update that just prevents detachment if the app is running. I don't know of a fix.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
By default when using any 3D application the dGPU will render the 3D Objects so Paint3D is using the NIVIDIA dGPU. So while it is running actively using the dGPU you would be unable to detach.

Paint3D is a UWP App and will stay in memory for faster launches.

OP
N

Nozmo

I understand what you are saying about the GPU, however, when you are not using the Paint program, it still keeps coming on - why would that be? If that is because it is a UWP, then I would suggest that this is not thought out that well. Just since I wrote this first post, it has happened 3 times already. Very annoying. I have to open and close the app. Why just this one app?

Is there a way to prevent the app from staying in memory. I do not really use this app, only played around with a few times - and that is when this problem started.

Regarding fan noise, I can say that rending 4k video using adobe premiere is fantastic. When really pushing the machine, the fan comes on occasionally and it is very, very quiet.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I understand what you are saying about the GPU, however, when you are not using the Paint program, it still keeps coming on - why would that be? If that is because it is a UWP, then I would suggest that this is not thought out that well. Just since I wrote this first post, it has happened 3 times already. Very annoying. I have to open and close the app. Why just this one app?

Is there a way to prevent the app from staying in memory. I do not really use this app, only played around with a few times - and that is when this problem started.

Regarding fan noise, I can say that rending 4k video using adobe premiere is fantastic. When really pushing the machine, the fan comes on occasionally and it is very, very quiet.
Go to Settings...Privacy....Background Apps and disable

OP
N

Nozmo

That does not work, I have tried it already.

You cannot use the tablet in the reverse position!!! I ran into this tonight. If you detach the tablet and then put it in the reverse position, when you try to detach it you cannot. Since you cannot open the 3D paint (to open and close the program), you cannot detach the tablet to put it in the normal laptop mode. You have to shut down the computer to do so...at least that is how it worked for me.

I am surprised that no one else is having this problem. It is very frustrating and putting a negative light on this great machine.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I can't replicate what you are seeing -

Running Paint3D
upload_2017-12-29_20-37-36.png

Try to Detach with it open I get the warning (as the dGPU is engaged)
upload_2017-12-29_20-38-47.png

I close it -
upload_2017-12-29_20-39-38.png

Once closed I get the dialog allowing me to detach -
upload_2017-12-29_20-40-58.png

Are you fully patched and updated? Or have you made you dGPU the default GPU?

Compusmurf

Similar issue here, but always the xbox univ app running tho I never start it. It is disabled in background but does re start later in the day. For the Op tho, you can open task manager in reverse keyboard mode and kill it. You dont need to start and close the app. You could make a bat or PowerShell file to kill it. Just click the bat file, kill the app, then eject.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
N

Nozmo

You should not have to go through these gyrations, however. I am not a programmer or anything - just a guy trying to use the computer. This happens about every 15 minutes.

For me, its just this one program.

In reverse mode, if I don't use the "tablet" version, I can then open and close the paint 3d program when trying to remove the tablet.

According to the thread I attached, this problem has been going on for months.

15 minutes.PNG

rolldog

Hi, I am new to this forum. Just purchased a 15 inch Surface Book 2, which we use for video processing, along with other office work. This replaced a 4 year old Dell XPS.

My problem is with detaching the tablet. I am constantly getting the message of a that something must be resolved before detaching. The problem is Pain 3D. Even if the program is not open, it needs to be opened and then closed. This happens about every hour the computer is on.

How can this be stopped? I have seen other threads online about this issue after a recent Windows update. My windows is 1709 from just a few days ago - when this problem started. I have seen some suggest uninstalling and reinstalling this program. Any thoughts on this. Going into the Powershell is probably outside my skill set. Thanks.

View attachment 8798
I got my Surface Book 2 a few days ago, and I have the same problem. I don't think the screen can be removed at all if any apps are running in the background. I usually decide before I even open it up if I'm going to use it as a laptop or tablet because I know if I'm using it as a laptop, I'll have to shut it down before the screen will release.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rolldog

I can't replicate what you are seeing -

Running Paint3D
View attachment 8799

Try to Detach with it open I get the warning (as the dGPU is engaged)
View attachment 8800

I close it -
View attachment 8801
Once closed I get the dialog allowing me to detach -
View attachment 8802

Are you fully patched and updated? Or have you made you dGPU the default GPU?
Just because the Paint 3D app isn't being actively used doesn't mean it's not still running in the background. You have to manually close it out in task manager, but I've got in the habit of just shutting it down before releasing the screen because something is always running in the background that's going to prevent it from detaching.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk