What's new

Awesome 4K video in the SP3 display

malberttoo

Worked beautifully on my i5 SP3 as well. My 3-year old i7 Dell workstation at work however had some minor stuttering, so totally surprised just now to find it completely smooth on my i5....

Edit- Chrome at work, Metro IE on SP3

mitchellvii

Well seems Chrome is the culprit. Videos load and play seamlessly in MUI YouTube Player as well as all forms of IE but are a stuttering laggy mess in the new Chrome 64. Bummer. Looks like Google still has some kinks to work out on this one.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Well my test was to see if the surface pro 3 could handle 4k uncompressed straight from the camera. The youtube video you link is 4k but compressed using a specific codec to maintain quality but knocking it down to 300mb.
Correct.

bluegrass

it works for me in metro IE. Also the file is around 330mb. im kinda curious, I'm going to record a 4k 15fps video tonight with my gopro and see how smooth it goes.

I haven't tried my GoPro in 4K mode on my Phantom 2 quadcopter yet. I need to check that out a bit.

bluegrass

No way Ive got 129.60 Terrabits per month bandwidth :D

That doesn't have anything to do with the speed of your Internet connection, that's how much data you can use in month. You might not have fast enough connection to play the video. I run into some that won't play on my Windows phone.

Tortri

I haven't tried my GoPro in 4K mode on my Phantom 2 quadcopter yet. I need to check that out a bit.

The SP3 can easily handle it but it's 15fps so it isn't smooth. Really the best resolution for quality and FPS is 2.7k at 30fps. Not only are you getting more frames I personally believe that the GoPro is its sharpest and isn't muddy at 2.7k IMO.

ynohtna

thanks for the videos, couple lag scenes like the rolling clouds near the end but hard to know if sp3 at fault, fans light hush now :)

wynand32

Looks excellent on my SP3 for sure, thanks. I also ran them on my Dell Venue 8 Pro, for kicks, and they looked pretty darn good there as well. I'm not sure which impresses me more--I knew the SP3 has a superior screen, but I didn't realize just how good the Dell's is. And it was only $230. :)