What's new

"Autorotate On" message

Stash36

I have this issue now constantly, only recently started. Leaves the machine unusable other than in tablet mode. Does anyone have any other ideas? I have not installed anything recently other than patches. Tried rolling them back, cleaned contacts with rubbing alcohol etc. This is a 1st gen surface book.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, @Stash36 . Welcome to the forum.

What Version and Build of Windows 10 are you on? (Settings, System, About …). This problem has become rare, and usually associated with older versions.

Stash36

Hi sharpuser, thanks for replying.
Was on v1803 but just upgraded to 1903 to try and fix this, no difference.
Only recommended action I haven't taken is to reinstall from scratch which I am loath to do, but probably has to be next step before I move forward.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. Don’t do the complete re-install just yet.

Just like an incompatibility with MalwareBytes was causing this problem, other things may also.

Assuming you don’t use MB, what other 3rd party software do you use?

Stash36

Sony moviestudio13, very old but works and have partially completed work, which is main reason to avoid reinstall.
avantum axcrypt, izarc, gopro studio. Have uninstalled all else already to try and resolve.

If it is relevant, the disconnect doesnt happen if I spin the screen around, (Msoft logo faces the keyboard).
And battery draining issues have never been resolved for me. It still drains in sleep mode.
If the reinstall has legs, then I;m ready to go for it.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You must do plenty of video editing and rendering, so I can easily understand how annoying the "Autorotate On" message must be.

Of course there are no guarantees, but since this error is now so very rare to Surface users, and you have a battery issue, I think you would indeed benefit from a complete re-install.

Put as much as you can from every folder onto an external drive, and of course, OneDrive, before you start.

We will see you on the other side.
Godspeed.

Stash36

Hmm Nervously hoping for the best! I recovered with my data, no change, and then did full reformat, reinstall whole shebang, and guess what, still no change, screen continually disconnecting and connecting. Threw the thing in the drawer until today.
Now I came to it, and the battery is completely dead, so even thats not fixed I think.
But having booted up, it is not going into the autorotate cycle, fingers crossed.

Jeez, as I write it starts. Unreal. Must have had 15 minutes there without an issue and now it is back again. Must be hardware

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Stash36,

Sorry to hear that a complete fresh install did not fix the problem. Thanks for going through all that trouble.
Indeed, sounds like hardware. Let's try something to isolate ...

Start your registry editor (REGEDIT) and browse to
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation

Find the key "SensorPresent" and change its value to 0 (zero).

See if the message goes away.

Stash36

Thanks Sharpuser for your continued help.
Good news is the battery is 100% this evening, perhaps my leak is fixed. (Wasnt that bothered about that anyway).

I have changed that registry setting and no difference, the message still appears every 15 seconds or so.

Stash36

Thanks for your continued help sharpuser!
Battery is 100% this evening so at least that is fixed.

Registry change has made no difference, autorotate on / followed by Attached still appears every 15 secs or so.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay - Now I think the problem has been isolated to a single dirty or broken contact or pin on the connector. Works when connected one way, but not when reversed.

Inspect and clean the contacts again.

Here’s a trick - Wet the contacts you can reach or access with a sparing amount of isopropyl alcohol, then connect and disconnect repeatedly, forward and reverse.

Hopefully, the issue is dirt or debris, not an internally broken circuit element.