What's new

Solved You're Scrolling The Wrong Way

minhestrone

You guys gotta try this out for yourselves.

I've noticed that two-finger scrolling on the left half of the touchpad is more responsive than on the right half. Now maybe it's just my unit, so I'd appreciate some feedback.

Here is how I scroll: I use my middle and ring fingers on my right hand. When they slide down, they're virtually horizontal to each other where they make contact with the touchpad.

Another observation is that scrolling with my index and middle fingers with one above another (vertically aligned) seemed a bit more responsive than middle and ring fingers side-by-side (horizontally aligned).

It's definitely not natural for my to scroll on the left half since I've right-handed. I hope there's a fix for this (or that it's just a problem with my unit).

Try it out and let me know.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Scrolls the same everywhere for me.
I think it is you.

You might have a bit of oil on your touchpad. Give it a very, very light touch all around. Do you feel any change in friction in any portion?

OP
minhestrone

minhestrone

Friction is consistent.

Try scrolling really slowly. The problem is more pronounced with slow scrolling than fast scrolling.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Very gentle and slow scrolling is very responsive all around. No problem here.
Posting my settings as pictures:

Screenshot (56).png

Screenshot (57).png

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Wait for a firmware and OS upgrade coming around 12 or 13 November 2015, be fore you change out any hardware.

TimberWolf

I've noticed this too. It is actually not only the right side, but the upper right quadrant that is the least sensitive for 2-finger scrolling. Must be software issue, since moving the mouse cursor works fine, as does 3 and 4 finger taps. It is only 2-finger scrolling that is the issue.

The effect is more noticeable if you turn off 2-finger zoom in touchpad settings, since that seems to add a slight delay to the initiation of scrolling. I've also noticed that, once scrolling is initiated, response is fine as long as I don't lift my fingers. It is only the initial response that is the issue.

Last edited:

Niterider4

I have noticed similar peculiar trackpad behaviour. I achieved much better scrolling in Firefox and much less lag by turning off pinch to zoom in the trackpad settings. With pinch to zoom on, sometimes scrolling would start right away, sometimes it would lag, and sometimes it would not scroll at all. With pinch to zoom off, the scrolling is probably 90%, but more sensitive on certain areas of the trackpad.