What's new

Yellow Screen Discoloration

Cimmerian

When my CPU gets hot (above 65°) I experience some pretty serious screen discoloration. I have the 1tb Surface Book with the dGPU and i7. I didn't want to RMA it as I use it extensively for work and college, but two days ago I found out they have an advanced RMA and can send me a new Book before I send them mine. So I am getting it replaced but would like to know if this is just a general issue, anybody with an i7 model (or any other) have this issue?

Here are some photos:

Yellow Discoloartion.jpg

Yellow Discoloartionn.jpg

Last edited:

ABswl13

Yes, I had this exact same issue with my previous I7 500gb Surface Book. I took it to my local Microsoft Store and they told me it's a hardware issue and a defective unit. So, they exchanged mine for a new one and knock on wood, I haven't had it on my new Surface Book. So definitely return it and exchange it for a new one. Just out of curiosity, does your screen flex when you lightly touch it, say with a cloth for example? I noticed that when I cleaned my previous Surface Book with a cloth even before the yellow discoloration appeared, that it felt like the glass on the clipboard would flex-in a little bit. Eventually though, the yellow discoloration appeared. But I was wondering if that had anything to do with causing the yellow discoloration...

OP
Cimmerian

Cimmerian

Thanks for the reply! After more research I found that people have had this issue with Surfaces since the Surface Pro 1 and it is in fact a hardware defect and a fix is as simple as getting it replaced. But also yes, when cleaning the screen and using the pen there has been a ton of flex on my screen! I've only ever used my Surface Book so I thought that's how they all were. I'm interested to see if I notice any differences with my new one.

ABswl13

Oh interesting! So, the yellow discoloration is probably related to the screen flex, especially since my new Surface Book doesn't have any flex. When you do exchange yours for a new one, make sure you check that the new one doesn't have any flex because the screen shouldn't flex when you clean it or write on it.

kristalsoldier

Recently, I noticed this on my SP3. It was a thin band along the left side of the screen but within a week or so it started spreading. I was a bit aghast because I was very comfortable with my SP3 and I was loathed to give it up. But the SP3 is my main machine and I cannot afford to have any issues with it. So, I replaced it with a SP4. Unfortunately, I cannot get it replaced because firstly my SP3 was over 2 years old and obviously the one-year warranty has long expired. I just hope the SP4 is better in this regard.

I also notice this yellow band on my Surface 3. But that is not a critical device for me so I can afford to ignore it for the moment.

OP
Cimmerian

Cimmerian

Just to be safe I go with the extended warranties these days, totally covers things like this and for longer.

Lars Mitchell

My screen started showing the same yellow areas. Since I live in Hong Kong, there is no store to go into. I called up the service line and they asked me for $575 to exchange the computer. Then this happened. These computers are overpriced garbage. I won't spend another dime.

y3mw1

jjEO8

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 2,029
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,089

StacyS302

I have the same issue with my Surface Book. There is a yellowing discoloration on both the left and right sides of the screen. My computer is out of warranty and when I visited the MSFT Store they told me I'd need to pay $600 to replace the screen. Unbelievable. They create one of the priciest machines on the market and then charge another $600 to fix the crappy hardware they originally installed on it.

BigAtom

My Surface Book 1 has started to show a very noticeable yellow line on the right side of the screen and a couple of spots at the top. Also I noticed that when closed the screen doesn't sit flush to the screen so I looked at the top of the screen to see it actually bows outward in the center. I measured the curve to be 3mm. After paying over AU$4k on this device I was hoping it would last more than 2 years. Planned obsolescence?

After sending back two 15" SB2's because they had quite a yellowish tint to the screen I think I'm going to give them a miss for now.

OP
Cimmerian

Cimmerian

My Surface Book 1 has started to show a very noticeable yellow line on the right side of the screen and a couple of spots at the top. Also I noticed that when closed the screen doesn't sit flush to the screen so I looked at the top of the screen to see it actually bows outward in the center. I measured the curve to be 3mm. After paying over AU$4k on this device I was hoping it would last more than 2 years. Planned obsolescence?

After sending back two 15" SB2's because they had quite a yellowish tint to the screen I think I'm going to give them a miss for now.

My Surface Book 1 also started to bow after about a year and a half, I would always just throw it in my bag, I think a combination of the hing gap and the constant pressure against my back caused it. Luckily I purchased the extended warranty and was able to get it replaced / sell it to buy the 15".

While I also purchased the extended warranty for my 15" I keep it in a pelican case if I plan on carrying it in a bag and am just overall a little more careful with it. Zero problems so far, great device and the only one that really meets all my needs!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, had my fair share.

BigAtom

And now the yellow streak has grown and screen has started to bow outwards like Lars Mitchell, not quite as badly but when closing it the middle of the screen now touches the keyboard. Just been quoted $600 for a refurbished replacement. Ouch!