What's new

Wont turn on!

ShiroEd

One day in to my i7 ownership and it was rebooting after an update only to hang.
I hit the power button after waiting for ages and now NOTHING!
It won't boot.
I've tried the usual:
Power + Volume Up = NOTHING
Power + Volume Down = NOTHING

I don't have my charger with me today so I'm gonna try it later when I get home but the device had 40% charge when it died.

Any ideas gang???

foghat

Try:
1. hold power button for 30 seconds and release.
2. Hold power button and volume up for at least 15 seconds. Release (if you see screen flash or surface logo prior to 15 second mark, keep holding buttons).
3. Wait 10 seconds.
4. Press and release power button.

Should start up a few seconds after step 4. though it is interesting this happened on an update reboot...

Last edited:

megatronium

Try:
2. Hold power button and volume up for at least 15 seconds. Release (if you see screen flash or surface logo, keep holding buttons).
3. Wait 10 seconds.

Should start up a few seconds after step 4. though it is interesting this happened on an update reboot...

Same thing happened to me previously. Some form of the instructions you gave him worked.

OP
S

ShiroEd

Try:
2. Hold power button and volume up for at least 15 seconds. Release (if you see screen flash or surface logo prior to 15 second mark, keep holding buttons).
3. Wait 10 seconds.

Thanks but no joy.
I've tried this and other combinations I've found on the web. I've also just spent over an hour with MS Surface help and nothing. Still on with them as I type this actually.

A replacement is looking like the only option left. SOOOOO frustrating. I've only had it a day!

double07

I know you said you had 40%. I think, you simply ran out of juice. I would try with power plug first. Plug the charger in(the end of cable pointing upward) and wait for good 5-10 min, then power it up.

leeshor

The good news is that you didn't have weeks worth of lost configurations, installation and work on it.

OP
S

ShiroEd

The good news is that you didn't have weeks worth of lost configurations, installation and work on it.

HA!
I did install quite a lot and set up a bunch of things last night!

Question:
If I send this back what do they do with the data on the defective device? I'm getting a bit paranoid!

OP
S

ShiroEd

I know you said you had 40%. I think, you simply ran out of juice. I would try with power plug first. Plug the charger in(the end of cable pointing upward) and wait for good 5-10 min, then power it up.

Done that. Aaaaaand nothing!

I'm so sad right now...

OP
S

ShiroEd

So WEIRD!

It's actually ON!

I can hear the fan spinning but the screen isn't on.
When I do the whole Power Button + Volume Up for 10 seconds or so it powers down (no fan noise) then I hit the power button and it powers back up (fan noise) but no screen!

Antitoon

So WEIRD!

It's actually ON!

When I do the whole Power Button + Volume Up for 10 seconds or so it powers down (no fan noise) then I hit the power button and it powers back up (fan noise) but no screen!
Maybe it's just the screen not working. Have you tried plugging it to an external monitor?

malberttoo

So WEIRD!

It's actually ON!

Well if you DO get back into it, better wipe/delete your data while you can!! :D