What's new

Windows search filter draining SP3 Battery

SurfaceNut

When I start my SP3, windows starts Search Filter Host which uses about 30% of the CPU, runs the fan and makes the surface run very warm (not hot). On Saturday, The process would run for hours. Indexing had completed, close to 50K items. But then at start, Windows would start indexing and run the Search Filter Host. Indexing would not complete, while on battery (about 3.5 hours and a drained battery), but would eventually complete when plugged in. Indexing would complete faster when plugged in (about 30 minutes and not doing anything)

I tried rebuilding the index. It didn't work.

I recovered the PC from factory defaults. It didn't work.

I've now modified the directories being indexed to limit it to two directories (onenote a onedrive), which contains about 20K items in the index. With the smaller index, the process will now run for about 30-45 mins and drains the battery about 30%.

OP
S

SurfaceNut

Wanted to give an update. It appears that every time I save a new document in a directory that is indexed, it restarts Windows Search Filter Host, which runs for another 20 mins at 30% CPU usage.

Bandito

It's probably somewhat pointless, but I'd go ahead and call Microsoft Surface Support and see what they can do. This certainly doesn't seem like normal behavior.

burgerson

Windows Search Filter Host Draining Battery

It's probably somewhat pointless, but I'd go ahead and call Microsoft Surface Support and see what they can do. This certainly doesn't seem like normal behavior.
I am having the same problem. Had to disable the service. It would start to run even when I deselected all of the folders - and CPU usage got up to a constant 26 - 29%. The battery would drain in a couple of hours or so. Now that the service has been disabled it seems to be running fine - but no search.

Any luck finding a solution?