What's new

Windows apps open & then immediately minimize?

WAR

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happens with certain apps? This happens on both my extended monitor and when I use my Surface in tablet mode. Thanks!

fletch33

if you can recall when this started then look to see if you accepted a windows update and roll back that update and see if it fixes the problem.

i have read about this many times and honestly there are multiple things that people say worked and some it was a restore.

OP
WAR

WAR

It's been going on so long I can't remember when it started. I operate mostly out of desktop mode so I can work around it. It just surprises me that a tablet designed for Metro is unable to open Metro apps!

OP
WAR

WAR

I've tried uninstalling them and reinstalling them, but the same thing happens.

Felyne

Not sure, if this is helpfull, but I had a simillar behaviour on my surface. For me, the cause was Modern Mix by Stardock. After I uninstalled it, everything went back to normal.

OP
WAR

WAR

Thanks, but I don't have an app like that running. It's weird. OneDrive opens, Dropbox doesn't. A chess app opens, Solitare doesn't. Microsoft Store Opens, Microsoft Soduku doesn't. I've never had an iOS app fail to open on an iOS device!

Felyne

It is definetly odd. I just had this issue when I had modern mix installed, after I deleted it, the issue was gone.

As fletch33 said, there are some users who reported that this happend to them in Win8.1. But the ways they fixed it are different. One user had this issue after he updated the intel driver and it was gone when he reverted back to the windows intel driver.

You could also try this, but be careful, it involves editing the registry, so make a backup just in case :) : http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2798317