What's new

Windows 8.1 Update 1 fixes the "slow Wi-Fi when bluetooth devices connected" problem

kevinlevrone

Hi,

I had this annoying problem, when some Bluetooth device was connected to my Surface Pro 2, the Wi-Fi speeds would drop significantly to the point of becoming unusable. This was bearable with my mouse connected, but when the Bose SoundLink Mini was playing music from the tablet, I could barely run a YouTube video at the same time !

I have to say that after I installed Windows 8.1 Update 1, this problem is gone. I have tested it multiple times, now the Wi-Fi speed is unaffected by my Bluetooth speaker and mouse being actively used at the same time. I have download speeds of a few megabytes, when I couldn't get over 20-50 kilobytes before. And I am only using the 2.4GHz band, the one affected by the problem.

I was on the verge of spending around $200 for a dual-band router + new DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, but for now I saved the money.

I would like to hear others opinions (who installed the update) on this too. Was the problem fixed on your end ?

InkyRag

I have Update 1 installed and just tested and my speed on 2.4Ghz is still about half with bluetooth turned on. I am quite sure this is a hardware/driver issue. Update 1 did not update any drivers that I could see.

OP
K

kevinlevrone

I have Update 1 installed and just tested and my speed on 2.4Ghz is still about half with bluetooth turned on. I am quite sure this is a hardware/driver issue. Update 1 did not update any drivers that I could see.

My download speed was much worse with Bluetooth connected. Like 5-10 times lower than without Bluetooth. But only with bandwidth-consuming Bluetooth devices (eg. Bluetooth speaker), not with the Bluetooth mouse. Did you use any bandwidth-consuming devices, or just mouse ?

beq

I've also been forced to switch the Wi-Fi to 5GHz 802.11a when the SP2 is actively paired w/ my Plantronics BT headset (otherwise streaming video playback gets choppy). Looking forward to testing Win 8.1 Update 1...

OP
K

kevinlevrone

I've also been forced to switch the Wi-Fi to 5GHz 802.11a when the SP2 is actively paired w/ my Plantronics BT headset (otherwise streaming video playback gets choppy).

This has certainly been fixed. Probably not the "halving the Wi-Fi speed when Bluetooth active", but still it's a huge improvement.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Well I use Bluetooth audio and had to change to 5GHz because it made it run terribly. My mouse was affected too... not running Update 1 until it's officially released though, look forward to trying it out! In a way I'll be pissed if it is lol as I just spent £70 on my AirPort Express
sorry.png

bluegrass

I've watch my update history in the control panel all the time and I've never seen any update called Update 1. I have noticed something peculiar though. It looks like every 4 or 5 days or so it installs System Firmware Update - 2/11/2014 again. Wish I knew what that was all about.

I also run the Bose Soundlink via Bluetooth. The same one you mentioned. Fantastic little speakers. I also have the bigger one. I have never had a problem listening to music over the Internet using the Bose Soundlink.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Update 1 was leaked by MS accidentally, they put it on their Update Servers for a group of testers and the registry key to allow the update was leaked. It won't be publicly available till April 8th.