What's new

Windows 11 Working Perfectly - Insider Preview

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Installed Windows 11 initial Insider Preview. No problems or complications.

Windows seems to run faster (starting, stopping apps, accessing Settings, Taskbar, etc.). I've installed every Windows 10 Preview for 6 years on Surface devices. I am very used to the speed of my Surface Book 2 after installs. Glad to see an improvement.

Edge Browser has never been faster.

ALL my software, no matter what the source, remained installed and intact.

The new Windows Store makes more sense, and readily updated my apps without prompting.

I like the interface, including redesigned icons. Screenshot below.

Windows11sharpuser.jpg

wpcoe

What is the difference in the "underscores" beneath the taskbar icons? (Short one under Edge, and a longer one under another.) I would expect the longer underscore to mean there is an open window of that app, but what does the shorter one indicate?

a.gif

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Good eye, @wpcoe. The short underscore indicates an app which is running but minimized. The longer underscore indicates the app with focus. Because a screenshot was being captured, Snip was in focus.

wpcoe

I downloaded the Win11 .ISO and have been running it in a VMware virtual machine, and must say I'm impressed at how well it works. I like the cosmetic appearance. It reminds me a bit of the old Aero Glass look.

I suspect the TPM brouhaha will die down, especially if PTT on the Intel CPUs (and whatever it's called on AMD CPUs) satisfies the requirement. Also I read (speculation) that the Intel approved CPU list will grow as more Insiders test the beta on older CPUs.