What's new

Windows 10's Cortana Search Exclusively Uses Edge and Bing Now

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
cortana-windows10.jpg

Microsoft recently shared this,

"Protecting the Integrated Search Experience in Windows 10

Unfortunately, as Windows 10 has grown in adoption and usage, we have seen some software programs circumvent the design of Windows 10 and redirect you to search providers that were not designed to work with Cortana. The result is a compromised experience that is less reliable and predictable.

The continuity of these types of task completion scenarios is disrupted if Cortana can’t depend on Bing as the search provider and Microsoft Edge as the browser. The only way we can confidently deliver this personalized, end-to-end search experience is through the integration of Cortana, Microsoft Edge and Bing – all designed to do more for you.

Starting today, to ensure we can deliver the integrated search experience designed for Windows 10, Microsoft Edge will be the only browser that will launch when you search from the Cortana box."

To be clear, this only pertains to when users want to utilize Cortana to search, and has nothing to do with your search engine of choice when you are browsing.

It should probably come as no surprise that Microsoft would go this direction. After-all, Cortana and Edge are both Microsoft products that are part of Windows 10. Those who are fans of Google or Siri Search may be miffed by this, but it was probably inevitable at some point. In fact, both Google Now and Apple's Siri lock you into their search engines when using their voice search as well. What do you folks think?

Source: Windows Blog

leeshor

What they are, and have been doing, is beginning to annoy me and I don't get annoyed easily. They also have begun uninstalling user installed apps and only if you notice the notification, or find the app missing (at least they tell you even if it's after the fact), do you know it's gone.

As far as I can tell, the only app they have done that to on my systems is CCleaner but it got uninstalled on all of my Windows 10 systems.

Microsoft got in trouble many years ago by trying to force people to use IE. I see some additional trouble brewing.