What's new

Windows 10 working well on S3 2gb ?

ONeill29

Hello,

I will buy a surface 3, a 2 GB RAM but I have question about the upgrading

1)Do you think that a S3 2GB will support windows ? (Maybe W8.1 use less ram than W10)

2)Do you think that I must upgrade my surface just after my purchase or must I wait some months ? Indeed i have heard that there are still some slow-down with W10 so I can wait that they fixed these bugs ?

Thanks for helping me

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, it'll support it, it's really no different to 8.1 in terms of resource requirements.

Before the launch of win 10 i'd have haiiply recommended it, but somehow they made the release version of win 10 worse than the preview version. Much worse. Following a seemingly very innocent and small update, my surdsce 3 has been a brick for the past few days, finally managed to re-install windowa but still have to re-install all my stuff. pain in the arse.. I wouldn't recommend win 10 to anyone now given its current state. Unless you hate 8.1 as much as I do, then you may want to hold off for a bit (you have a whole year to claim the free upgrade)

Sorry for the typing, i'm a finger down and it feela rather odd

OP
O

ONeill29

-So if I understand, you recomand me to wait a bit, isn't it ?

-How many ressources does w8.1/10 use in a S3 2Gb of RAM ?

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. If you are happy to use 8.1 I would suggest waiting a bit longer.

I have the 4gb surface 3 so can't comment. But if the 2gb one runs win 8.1 then win 10 should run the same.

CDG

I am new to Windows, so I didn't want to get too used to 8.1 and then have to relearn 10. So I upgraded as soon as I got my notification, which was a week after it was launched.

It somewhat depends on which mode you will use more, the tablet or the desktop; in the desktop mode I find it to be quite an improvement over 8/8.1, all functions are faster and smoother but in the tablet mode it needs a lot of improvements.

As to resources needed, I am not using anymore RAM and my available storage went up from 84 to 93 (I have the 4/128 version).

You do get a year, so you could easily wait if you want to, personally I am glad I did the upgrade.

Good luck with your decision.