OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Three days to Windows 10.
Both Apple and Microsoft will be on an OS version 10+

I give both a "10".
I'm glad competition makes them compete for my money. My choice. I win at that game every time.

Screenshot (129).png

wynand32

Okay, so, I'm still trying to figure out the 7/23 firmware update which just didn't seem to install correctly on my SP3. The following are the drivers that were supposed to have changed, and what mine are currently at:

• HD Graphics Family driver update (v10.18.15.4248) improves graphics performance and stability on Windows 10.
- Mine is at 10.18.15.4248, but I thought that update came from a separate Intel HD driver update.
  • Audio driver update (v6.0.1.7543) improves the Cortana experience on Windows 10.
- Mine is at 6.0.1.7543, and so that looks good.
  • USB driver update (v10.0.10125.31214) improves system power usage.
- I'm not sure exactly what this refers to, but my USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller is 10.0.10240.16384 and my USB Root Hub is at 10.0.10240.16399. Odd that these seem like later drivers, and I'm not really sure which "USB driver" was updated.

Has anyone found a USB driver that matches the update, and know that their update actually applied? It's bugging me that a driver intended to improve power usage might not be active on mine, because battery life is probably the only downside to Windows 10 on my SP3.

wynand32

Three days to Windows 10.
Both Apple and Microsoft will be on an OS version 10+

I give both a "10".
I'm glad competition makes them compete for my money. My choice. I win at that game every time.

You know, I understand that some people like OS X. I'm running the latest Yosemite on my MacBook Air (including the latest beta update), and I just don't like it. I don't find it any more "intuitive" than Windows 10, just different--and different in a boring sort of way.

Which just goes to show how personal this stuff is. I would never say OS X is a "bad" operating system, even though I really, really don't like working in it. I've simply always preferred Windows (except for Windows 8.X, which ultimately just tried to change too many things too quickly and is really, really bad on multi-monitor desktops with keyboard/mouse).

lhauser

Yea I am aware that you can do that. But that is soo annoying. The charm bar idea is what Windows 8 was differentiated itself from Android and iOS, where you can slide a panel for quick access to brightness control, wireless, and other options. While Windows 10 keeps that idea, instead of having a slider pop-ing up for the brightness, you have this button. And if you want finner control, you need to go in settings. This is very annoying.
Might as well be like in Windows XP, where you need to go dig through Control Panel to find the mobility center, and control the brightness.

My complaints aren't subjective. They are facts. I never said that I am not going to upgrade to Windows 10, I'll upgrade day 1 to it, I can assure you that, on both my systems. The upsides are far more than the listed downsides. And I know that most of my downsides listed can be fixed with updates form the app store and Windows itself. They are not critical issues. But they are issues that i think we should not ignore.

There is no denying that Windows 10 is being rushed out. Many features of Windows are by Microsoft: "Coming after Windows 10 is out". So it will either be a App Store update or maybe under Windows 10.1, which will probably be released next year. This is unlike Microsoft to do this. And I think it shows that Windows 10 is being rushed out. Another fact of this, is that many manufactures made computers won't have Windows 10 on them when you buy them in the store on July 29 and a few days after, as manufacture barely got enough time to prepare systems with Windows 10, and replace them on store shelf. My guess is that they are focusing on the popular models, and the rest will be upgraded within 1-2 weeks after Windows 10 is released.

Yea I am aware that you can do that. But that is soo annoying.

My complaints aren't subjective. They are facts.

That you say things are "annoying" is the very definition of subjective. What you find annoying I don't -- which is just as subjective. There's nothing wrong with having preferences and opinions, but to deny they are such is silly. For instance, the four set brightness levels from the actions panel? Perfect for me. I can't think of the last time I needed the brightness slider -- but if I do, I know where it is (and it is far more accessible than your example of getting to it in XP). This is subjective...the way I use Windows. It's the same with your complaints about GUI elements, or NVidia drivers. For you, they are an annoyance. For me, they aren't even a blip on the radar. Subjective, for both of us.

Microsoft has always shipped major products with features incomplete, as does almost every other software manufacturer in world history. They have to set a deadline, and not everything makes it into the final product before that deadline. If they took another six months to get this or that set of features complete, they would have to wait another six months to get another feature set complete. That's the whole point behind the new paradigm of "the last version of Windows" (whatever that will mean in reality). The OS will never be "complete," but will continually evolve, just without fixed version releases. In Linux, they call it "rolling releases," so it's not like it's something unheard of.

You're right, this is "not like Microsoft." Not like the Microsoft we've known, that is. Microsoft is changing the way they distribute Windows. Should we just ignore what you see as shortcomings and incomplete features? Well, maybe I should, but maybe you shouldn't. You're a part of the insider program... go complain (I'll assume you have already)! Hold their feet to fire, find others with the same annoyances, add your voice to theirs.

Derekamoss

This thread is for those whom are interested in testing Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 3.
If you are not interested, post somewhere else.
Was this pointed at me? I have upgraded to windows 10 and adjusted to the new way. I wasn't saying I'm never leaving win8... I just wish win10 was more like win8

Kris

Was this pointed at me? I have upgraded to windows 10 and adjusted to the new way. I wasn't saying I'm never leaving win8... I just wish win10 was more like win8
I highly doubt that this was pointing you out of the crowd... There have been quiet a few people coming on this thread and saying they hate Windows 10 or it sucks or whatever and they will never switch. This thread is supposed to be productive and discuss/help people with Windows 10.
It's saying if you don't have something productive to add to the conversation go somewhere else.

MagicPoop

So, I took my system back to 8.1... Is it too late in the game to be able to re-upgrade to 10 with a 10240 iso and it'd still be valid?

Or should I just wait for release on win 8.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.