What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTiceman

The greatest mystery in these builds is how they can work beautifully for days, then suddenly go straight to complete crap for no apparent reason. For days 10135 was practically flawless for me. And today:

1) Fan blowing full blast for no reason.
2) Back blazing hot.
3) Chrome Beta a lagfest.
4) External monitor not working.

Honestly, what happens were this OS suddenly "breaks"? No updates, no nothing. It just "breaks". Truly bizarre.
Could be any number of things. Might be poorly coded Alexis that would clear cached files or timed runs off certain processes that rerun certain items after a while. These things can cause issues when a beta build runs longer without an update. Things that likely are to be stripped before public release but allow different testing avenues and feedback.

sdreamer

Think build 10130 has been the longest build I've used (2 days, lol, but on and off). Gotta revert back to 8.1 again because my fan just does not stop going, and sleep/locking is very wonky. Fan still runs even though there are no processes using the CPU and CPU percentage is at normal idle. Sleep/locking my SP3 sometimes the fan will still run! I have to close every app so it doesn't do this (though it's starting to look like Spartan is the culprit). Forgot to mention, my picture on my picture password always disappears. Oh, and Project Spartan is suppppper laggy (this is probably because I don't have my TPL list running like I do on IE, and it's just choppy until all the ads are finally done loading). Also, really don't like the hamburger menu in the full screen start. It is on the complete opposite end of where I needed to be. For example, the great power button issue. Before people complained about having to pull charms>power. Then it was power button too far in the upper right. Now its, Start>Upper Left>Hambuerger>Lower Left Power. With widescreen displays do we really need to hide essential options like this? The issue I have is having to get to the All Apps. Then once I get the all apps menu out, I see only like 3/4th of the title because of how narrow the list is. I'm guessing the max of three columns and the narrow app list have to do with keeping core code for Windows Mobile and Desktop, but seriously I think they need to figure something else out. I knew I should have gone the VHD route, but kept hoping this would be the build where I can just keep going (VHD builds don't support upgrading to newer builds). Guess back to the slow ring (VHD)+8.1 for me.

mitchellvii

Here's what's odd with my external monitor. When I plug it in it registers in the Device Manager as a Monitor but the monitor fails to receive signal. Have tried this with multiple monitors and cords. Only since 10135.

I'd think perhaps my video port was damaged but the monitor is being recognized. Dunno.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it not appear at all in display settings? My issue in the previous builds was that the monitor would only work under specific circumstances, such as only working in extend mode, but couldn't change resolution etc. I had to do lots of jumping around with various settings before the second display would show properly.

mitchellvii

Does it not appear at all in display settings? My issue in the previous builds was that the monitor would only work under specific circumstances, such as only working in extend mode, but couldn't change resolution etc. I had to do lots of jumping around with various settings before the second display would show properly.

It appears in display settings and will allow me to extend monitors but the monitor still gets no signal. Then if I click "Detect Monitors" it says there is no monitor. Weird.

pbaird

Here's what's odd with my external monitor. When I plug it in it registers in the Device Manager as a Monitor but the monitor fails to receive signal. Have tried this with multiple monitors and cords. Only since 10135.

I had display port problems too, then windows update gave me an updated driver. Now it works great. Maybe try uninstalling the current driver and checking for updates a few times to get it?

mmoran27

Does anyone think MS can ship this steaming pile by the 29th?

I am on the latest build and it sucks. Clean install

1) Same firmware update every couple days 5/14 HW
2) Wakes from sleep in bag (all the time - never wake with battery. Always depleted)
3) Logon screen constantly crashes. Can't log in without rebooting.
4) Wifi doesn't work half the time after waking.
5) Mail constantly crashes.
6) Mail other than full screen is useless. Resize doesn't make it useable.

Lots more. Tried reinstalling same crap. This on their own hardware. You would think it would work best in the surface not worst. It doesn't work at all on the Surface 3.

Installed ELCapitan beta on my Mac and it works like butter. Not like this MS crap.

Compusmurf

Keep in mind, MS does at least 1 build a day. They are almost 20 builds higher than the last insider build. That could be a ton of bug fixing. I can go check what the latest internal build is, but won't matter since we won't get that one. Lol

ScottyS

Think of what a PR disaster it would be if after enticing millions of users who had win7 and 8 running well to take a free automatic upgrade to win10 and it trashes their systems.

I know they're churning out new builds everyday, but the ones released to us Insiders seem to be getting more buggy, and this is on MS hardware. They brag they use Surfaces to create their software. Think of all the different combinations of hardware and software people have. They're planning to upgrade (not wipe clean and install as new) all Win7 and Win8.1 computers out there (those that want it that it). That's got to be the hardest thing to get right and work on everyone's machines. Quoting myself above, if they don't get this right it will be a disaster.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
10130 is an old build it had been compiled at least 2 weeks prior to us getting it, there are daily builds, Leaked builds like 10135 are typically released to OEMs or IHVs for specific scenarios and are usually buggies than the ones we get....

Status
Not open for further replies.