Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I can see it in the billing overview with Spartan but it doesnt't show up in the store (I clicked "show all" ofc).

Edit: My Store (Beta) app is up to date.

Attempt a search and Install (if you re-purchase, you won't be charged), or an Install from the My Library option.

herpderp

Attempt a search and Install (if you re-purchase, you won't be charged), or an Install from the My Library option.
I changed language from German to English (us) and now all the missing apps are showing up in My Library and via search. When I switch the language back they are gone again. Unfortunately it stucks on "working" when I try to install one of those apps. I'm currently downloading the US .iso and hope this will solve my issue.

lhauser

Hi I am sorry for not reading everything but there are too many pages. Could anyone tell me how buggy is Windows 10 on the SP3? Is it stable enough to install it?

I have the i7 model and I really want to try windows 10, the problem is I use the SP3 as my daily driver and I can't risk installing it if the computer will present problems.

Any feedback would help, thanks!!

After going back and forth a few times, it's now my daily driver (SP3/i5/128). Going back and forth I've had no data loss, nor in any daily use. Some small annoyances but no show stoppers for me at all. I briefly contemplated going back to 8.1 yesterday when the computer simply shut off, but that might have been the CPU protecting itself...the fan had been blowing a lot, which in my experience means Chrome or (more likely) a background process had run away and overheated things. Most often this has been the Photo background process, or the Ant-Malware process.

Learn to be a backup fanatic (which you should anyway).

lhauser

Agreed, "different strokes." That does beg a question though. Just went looking for Easy Transfer and it's not there. For those who might jump to an SP4 when it's released, are most planning on a new install of their apps and copying their data? Data and apps both, Easy Transfer with a 1GB Ethernet cross-over cable was really handy back in the day.

Think what I may do is, excluding all my VMs, let OneDrive handle all my data and knuckle under on the apps install.

OneDrive is where my data lives, though I often copy off my OneDrive folder to an external drive, along with my music, photos, and a more-or-less current copy of all my non-Store software installers. Thank heavens for USB 3...

lhauser

How does hibernation work in Win10? I admit I'm not even sure how it works in 8.1. I've usually disabled my hibernation file, but now I see that even though I've re-enabled it, there's no Hibernation option on the power-off menu. I haven't had a chance to look to see where else I might need to enable it.

herpderp

I changed language from German to English (us) and now all the missing apps are showing up in My Library and via search. When I switch the language back they are gone again. Unfortunately it stucks on "working" when I try to install one of those apps. I'm currently downloading the US .iso and hope this will solve my issue.
I'm close to go back to win 8.1, but I fell in love with the new design.
I changed everything to US (language, region, input) and was able to download the desired apps. However changing the language messed up the windows search somehow. I wasn't able to type anything in the "ask me anything" box anymore and the taskbar became unresponsive everytime I tried. So I switched back to German region and language and it's working relatively good now (except I'm unable install and probably update half of the apps).

I'll give it one more shot and try the US .iso.

Last edited:

bluegrass

How does hibernation work in Win10? I admit I'm not even sure how it works in 8.1. I've usually disabled my hibernation file, but now I see that even though I've re-enabled it, there's no Hibernation option on the power-off menu. I haven't had a chance to look to see where else I might need to enable it.

I haven't got a hibernation option on my power-off menu either so I guess that is normal on build 10074. I never used it anyway.

mitchellvii

The one operational thing which confounds me on W10 is the constant fan. In W8.1 my fan rarely blows. In W10 it blows pretty much constantly and in general runs hotter (especially in tablet mode which is pretty much the exact opposite of what a user wants). I wonder if this is something MS is attempting to fix or simply a feature of this OS?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, it would appear that windows 10 utterly sucks on low res. One of my tv's is only 720p, i really don't see any reason to upgrade it, but at that resolution, it's just nasty. As an example, the wifi icon on the task bar is just a squiggly mess. You'll need to zoom in on the attachment, but it's just odd, it's not that it's simply pixelated because of the lower res, but it's strange with fat bits, and non-existent bits. I might not be modern day super high res or even full HD, but i'm well above the 800x600 min resolution of 10. Perhaps this is specific to the surface or that right now they just plain couldn't give a damn about low res screens and will sort that all out closer to release.
wifi.JPG

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The one operational thing which confounds me on W10 is the constant fan. In W8.1 my fan rarely blows. In W10 it blows pretty much constantly and in general runs hotter (especially in tablet mode which is pretty much the exact opposite of what a user wants). I wonder if this is something MS is attempting to fix or simply a feature of this OS?

I wonder if there just isn't something wrong with your surface/installation. My fan never runs (128/4gb) unless i do something that rightfully requires the fan to run, e.g a game, or just running chrome without any tabs open. Those instances aside, it works no different to how it always worked, so to me, it's not something specifically wrong with win 10, and i know i'm not the only one experiencing the opposite of your experience. Iirc you have had issue with win 10 and fan noise almost from its inception. Seems odd.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am my SP3's loudest fan.

Something is wrong if you have a constant overheating, or heat sensing problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.