What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona Willie

Try disabling any unused audio applications.

I was having many problems with Cortana and my video card had installed 3 audio applications. Why a video card installs audio is a puzzle but it did.

One of which was Nvidia Miracast Audio.

I disabled them -- because I use a Logitech Surround Sound system instead of speakers in the monitor and had never needed them before I installed the new video card and it helped a lot.

Also disable any unused apps in the Sound app in Control Panel.

Got her working pretty good now.

Also, Cortana is silent. Her voice doesn't work

nalbagli

Hi I am sorry for not reading everything but there are too many pages. Could anyone tell me how buggy is Windows 10 on the SP3? Is it stable enough to install it?

I have the i7 model and I really want to try windows 10, the problem is I use the SP3 as my daily driver and I can't risk installing it if the computer will present problems.

Any feedback would help, thanks!!

Kris

Hi I am sorry for not reading everything but there are too many pages. Could anyone tell me how buggy is Windows 10 on the SP3? Is it stable enough to install it?

I have the i7 model and I really want to try windows 10, the problem is I use the SP3 as my daily driver and I can't risk installing it if the computer will present problems.

It has a few bugs, I use it for my daily driver too. Biggest bug is having to reset it if you leave it in standby for too long. When that happens I have to hold the power button down for 30 seconds to get it to reboot. Love Windows 10 and believe it is worth putting up with the bugs to not go back to 8.1.
One thing that may become an issue is having to do a clean install with most build updates, or just because something went wrong. It still is a beta program and does have bugs but if you can put up with them it's well worth it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

I guess it depends on the importance of what you will use it for, but for me, a university student, win 10 has been absolutely fine as a daily driver. No interest in reverting back to 8.1

GTiceman

It is a beta, it has bugs. Some builds are better than others and some have experienced different bugs than others. If up-time w/o any issues is critical then you probably shouldn't install. I use it as a daily. Also as Kris mentioned, be prepared to do a clean install when W10 hits release or you might find yourself needing to do it if you are experiencing some abnormal bugs during the beta testing. I, along with some others, tend to do refreshes every couple builds, which removes all your Win32 applications.

GTiceman

Too many apps for me to-reinstall every time, would take me the better part of a day. Haven't done it yet through five builds, but DO have to re-install VMware workstation and repair Adobe Acrobat every build. I also don't plan on doing a clean install at RTM, but will update at that time as to whether I have any problems.

To each their own, i went a long time without a refresh or clean, but I also had my hardware swapped in Dec. Just trying to give all the things I have observed since the beginning. Originally I also had too many apps/programs, but now I am down to the ones I use every day or a few times a week. Spring cleaning in a sense ha.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@nalbagli

Not too buggy. You will not lose any data. Just some annoyances like the Start Menu being slow to update sometimes, or some inking issues with some apps.

Windows 10 is on my main production machine - Surface Pro 3 i7 512.

herpderp

Hi! I just upgraded to the current preview build (clean install from 8.1) and can't find certain apps in the store. (like Drawboard and Wolframalpha). When I access the apps website via Spartan it redirects me to an empty page in the store app. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

goodintentions

Question for you guys.

As the release date is only a couple months away, has MS implemented a better tablet mode for W10? Or is it still windows 7.1?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi! I just upgraded to the current preview build (clean install from 8.1) and can't find certain apps in the store. (like Drawboard and Wolframalpha). When I access the apps website via Spartan it redirects me to an empty page in the store app. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Growing pains.

Try the Store (Beta) app. After starting it, from the "person" icon on the upper right, choose "Purchased". After your account shows up in the web browser, close the browser, then choose "My Library" from that same place. You should then be able to download your apps.

herpderp

Growing pains.

Try the Store (Beta) app. After starting it, from the "person" icon on the upper right, choose "Purchased". After your account shows up in the web browser, close the browser, then choose "My Library" from that same place. You should then be able to download your apps.
I can see it in the billing overview with Spartan but it doesnt't show up in the store (I clicked "show all" ofc).

Edit: My Store (Beta) app is up to date.

Last edited:

cmergel

Sorry to repost. Is anybody having issues with daisychaining multiple monitors through the SP3 dock? Can't get it to work on the second monitor. works just fine with my other SP3 that is running 8.1.

The SP3 running Windows 10 is an i7 and my SP3 running Windows 8.1 is an i5. Looks to be different HD graphics.

HD Graphics - Device Manager
SP3(i7) 2/18/2015 v10.18.15.4124
SP3(i5) 11/18/2014 v10.18.14.4029

Can't update or rollback the W10 graphics driver. Keep getting message "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software".

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.