What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0v1em4n

For me there are things that either are not working right or I just don't understand how thing are done , think there is a bit of a learning curve
but the more I play the more I like.
Is there any where we can go to get some pointer on how to set thing up ?

mitchellvii

I think so many people are having different experiences with this build because they are installing it on top of their prior build with god knows what on it. Best way to get best result is clean install of the ISO.

mitchellvii

Hi Guys,
Can anyone point me in the right direction to change tile size and background colour in the start menu, I have checked out all settings/ personalisation but all that is in there is lock scree

Are these drivers suitable for i5 video adapters

They are made for the 4400 which the i5 has.

Last edited:

ScottyS

I can't get IE to launch. Icon is there but nothing happens if I click it. Ideas? Does it have to be default to work at all?

GUYS, THE FAN ISSUES MAY BE RELATED TO THE VIDEO DRIVERS.

When I run the stock drivers I get jet fan, heat and screen lag. When I flash the Intel Drivers (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k9558ni8n6e3rm9/AAAlB21xT-D7Ujir_ehAyGL_a?dl=0) quiet and no screen lag. Also with Intel Drivers you get access to HD Control Panel. You can flash these directly over the current drivers.

* Note, W10 will replace these every time it updates with their stock drivers and right now you can't stop that.
YES!!! I installed those drivers @mitchellvii linked to from a dropbox account and videos now play in Windows Media Player and the MUI Video app, and it doesn't heat up enough to even turn on the fan... but I can't figure this out, I tried installing the latest Intel drivers I downloaded and installed in Win8.1 which had a Jan 2015 date but Win10 said those didn't contain drivers for this device. The one from the above mentioned dropbox did install, I got the Intel control panel when I right click on desktop, but the driver date is 8/5/2014.
Does the latest (Jan 2015) not work for Win10?
I guess I don't care ('cept my OCD which wants the latest/greatest). These drives @mitchellvii linked to fixed the video playback issue, the heat/fan issue and I have the Intel control panel to adjust contrast and gamma etc. Thanks!

mitchellvii

YES!!! I installed those drivers @mitchellvii linked to from a dropbox account and videos now play in Windows Media Player and the MUI Video app, and it doesn't heat up enough to even turn on the fan... but I can't figure this out, I tried installing the latest Intel drivers I downloaded and installed in Win8.1 which had a Jan 2015 date but Win10 said those didn't contain drivers for this device. The one from the above mentioned dropbox did install, I got the Intel control panel when I right click on desktop, but the driver date is 8/5/2014.
Does the latest (Jan 2015) not work for Win10?
I guess I don't care ('cept my OCD which wants the latest/greatest). These drives @mitchellvii linked to fixed the video playback issue, the heat/fan issue and I have the Intel control panel to adjust contrast and gamma etc. Thanks!

Awesome. Yep, can't understand why MS wants to impose their CRAP video drivers on us when the Intel ones work so well? With regards to the latest drivers, only the August ones I linked work. I was actually lucky I still had those saved from a prior install.

Why does MS HATE HD Control Center when it makes the screen look SO much better? Can't comprehend.

NOTE: MS will replace these Intel drivers with their CRAP ones every time Windows runs an update. I recommend you change updating from automatic. If there is an update you want (can't individually hide the bad ones), just install it then reflash the Intel Drivers - you can flash right on top. Hassle but oh well.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@sharpcolorado, diggin that wallpaper. Can you link it for us?

screenshot-4-png.5098

"Windows Key" wallpaper: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuw1jy6t3wjbxgj/Windows_Key.jpg?dl=0

joga

I installed the newest build on my SP3. I like it so far.

Where can i:

- remove / hide the taskbar in tablet mode?
- get live tiles working for Plex, Weather App and more
- how can i drag and drop multiple tiles on the start menu (tablet mode)?
-

Can someone help me out?

rkz

Did in place upgrade from 8.1 and the screen keeps going black periodically (to cursor) and back to normal. Happens 5 times then restarts :-/

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Here's what I do on my Surface Pro 3 i7/512:

In my OneDrive folder is:
.../OneDrive/Software/Intel/...
where I store the /Intel files downloaded from here: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Ta...ro-3-Tablet-Firmware-Driver-August-2014.shtml

Automatic updates are turned off for now.
This graphics driver from 3/7/2014 version 10.18.10.3496 works fine with video.
If some other driver stomps over that one, I can "Browse my computer for driver software" and one click to that folder fixes me up.

Screenshots:

Screenshot (23).png

Screenshot (22).png

Screenshot (23).png

Screenshot (24).png

Screenshot (25).png

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
To answer questions about adjusting the screen brightness in Notebook Mode on Windows 10:

Screen Brightness
Fn + DEL = Screen Brightness UP
Fn + BACKSPACE = Screen Brightness DOWN

Print Screen (Screen image to Clipboard for Paste elsewhere)
Fn + SPACEBAR

Screenshot (Saved in Pictures folder)
Fn + WINDOWS KEY + SPACEBAR (in this order)

Print Current Window Only
Fn + ALT+ SPACEBAR

Lock or Unlock Fn
Fn + Caps Lock

Home
Fn + Arrow Left

End
Fn + Arrow Right

PgUp
Fn + Arrow Up

PgDown
Fn + Arrow Down

mitchellvii

I agree the new system icons (folders, etc.) are WAY oversaturated and 70's ish. Wonder who got let loose in the crayon box to create those? Thought everything was headed towards a more flat understated "Material Design" look? The neon icons gots ta go.

Status
Not open for further replies.