What's new

Windows 10 Might Come on USB Drives instead of (or in addition to) Discs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
ublox-usb-gps-stick-20080828.jpg

The latest rumor from Redmond suggests Microsoft might be considering selling Windows 10 on USB Sticks instead of (or possibly in addition to) Discs. For many of us, having the physical install media is still important.

Despite that, not everyone uses a CDROM, DVDROM or BluRay Disc player in their PC anymore (I can't remember the last time I needed to read any of these formats on my PC). Obviously for anyone who is able and willing to take the free upgrade, you can simply download it directly across the web.

Here's a quote with the details from the source of this story:

Windows 10 will be Microsoft’s first operating system that will be sold on USB sticks. Both the Home and Pro versions will have retail packages on which the OS is delivered on a flash drive instead of a DVD.

Several Canadian online retailers revealed the existence of the USB versions of Windows 10 by posting them on their website. There are no separate drives for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the OS which so users can pick one during installation.

Source: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-will-sell-windows-10-retail-packages-on-usb-drives-76495/