What's new

Windows 10 is About to Get Several Cool New Features

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
WIP_Windows10_laptop.png

It looks like Microsoft is getting ready to make some major improvements to Windows 10 very soon. The latest preview build is 10565 and this is a smattering of what it brings:
  • Deeper Skype integration - Skype messaging, calling and video chat are now integrated into Windows 10, and you’ll find them in the Messaging, Phone and Skype video universal Windows apps too
  • Cortana is improved, and can now intelligently understand inked notes
  • Cortana can also set reminders based on locations, times and numbers that the assistant gets from hand-written stylus notes.
  • Cortana will track events for movies and ticketed events through email confirmations
  • Cortana can now ping you about scheduled events two hours before they start - booking a Uber ride from Cortana for getting to that event is also possible.
  • Microsoft Edge will now have a tab preview mode - Hovering over a tab will let you get a preview of what’s on the loaded website
  • Syncing favorites and Reading list items in Microsoft Edge also gets a first peek in this build
  • We also have improved title bars and context menus on Start
  • Finally we also now have new icons, device activation improvements, and new ways to manage the default printer.
It looks like Microsoft is doubling down on their support team to really improve the over all experience of Windows 10.

Kif

I would settle from them to double down and fixing all of the bugs in Windows 10. It has so much potential however it's becoming a daily routine for me to submit feedback into the feedback app for new issues I've discovered.

Kris

Those improvements aren't that impressive IMHO.
I'm with Kif fix the bugs. Let us change the OneNote-CMD to 2016. There are many other things I would love to be fixed before getting more Cortana features, that are tracked.

leeshor

I read something last week that far more Windows 10 users overall are using Chrome than Edge.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read something last week that far more Windows 10 users overall are using Chrome than Edge.
That probably has a lot to do with the lack of an adblocker as the Internet has become almost unusable without one. I'm sure other lacking features aren't helping it's cause either.

CrippsCorner

Definitely looking forward to Messaging, but the Cortana stuff just doesn't do it for me! I've had Siri for years now and only used it about 3 times lol.

Kif

Those improvements aren't that impressive IMHO.
I'm with Kif fix the bugs. Let us change the OneNote-CMD to 2016. There are many other things I would love to be fixed before getting more Cortana features, that are tracked.

I was wondering about the whole OneNote integration piece. I just updated Office on my SP3 to 2016. Do I keep the OneNote app or delete it or what?

Kris

I was wondering about the whole OneNote integration piece. I just updated Office on my SP3 to 2016. Do I keep the OneNote app or delete it or what?
I don't know if you can delete the OneNote app that comes with it or not, or if doing so would cause issues. I know it sucks compared to the 2016 version. I set up a Autohotkey app to take over the functions of my pen. To be honest it isn't perfect and sometimes opens up the default OneNote but it's the only work around that I have found that even comes close to working. I have changed the registry and everything else but nothing makes the pen open OneNote 2016 but this.

Migi

If Edge can solve Chrome's memory-usage problem I'd consider switching over Chrome if it can reach feature parity.