What's new

Windows 10 Installation Setup Window Freezes

erdisayar

Hello
I want to install window 10 on my surface pro 4.
However, If I try to install it , I see the following window and I cannot click the next button or see the mouse cursor.
What can be possible fixes for that ?

I also try to run the surface 4 with live ubuntu usb but I got the error initramfs
Thank you for your help

IMG_20210314_232126.jpg

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have the type cover attached?
how about trying a USB keyboard? not Bluetooth.

I thought there used to be an icon in the lower left corner for touch keyboard but I don't see anything there... MS doesn't seem to really care about touch anymore...

OP
E

erdisayar

The touch screen is working when I entered in the Bios configuration. The keyboard is also working normally.
I also even connected to it an additional keyboard via USB.
I also tried the recovery image for surface 4 in which I cannot do startup repair. The only possible option for me was to use Command Prompt. I formatted the harddisk in command prompt.

OP
E

erdisayar

Unfortunately, not
What do you think about the reason of problem ?
Where should I focus on ? Can it be a hardware problem ?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't read German (I assume it's German) but this appears to be a language selection screen, not sure what the other two selections are.. I assume you cannot make choices for those which is probably why the Next button isn't activated.

that said, it's confusing because you indicate the type cover works & onscreen kybd works (ON OTHER SCREENS). I'm a bit perplexed why it would choose this screen to not enable any keyboard methods. IDK maybe it's a bad install image but then you have some sort of problem also with the Restore image... I assume it's somehow a different failure... perhaps if you describe what happens with that it would help ...

I take it you only formatted the C: partition? Perhaps nuking all partitions ... I've heard tales of woe after installing certain Linux Distros... best to wipe it from existence.