What's new

Windows 10 how-to sp2

lukenaylor2

Hi i was wondering if windows 10 is possible on sp2 then how to set it up inc drivers, upgrade and clean install. Also what kind of preformance it gets on the sp2. Thanks

leeshor

If you do the upgrade and make certain it's activated it assumes the identity of your system. No additional product keys will be needed. a successful upgrade will take care of registration for you.

GoodBytes

Hi i was wondering if windows 10 is possible on sp2 then how to set it up inc drivers, upgrade and clean install. Also what kind of preformance it gets on the sp2. Thanks
Be aware that the SP2 is not Windows 10 ready YET. As the "Get Windows 10" app states: Microsoft is working with it's partners to make the system ready. The problem is not Windows 10, or the device hardware. The problem is drivers. Most manufactures started developing their Windows 10 drivers at the last minute. They got SOMETHING out, to get their hardware working, but they are not proper Windows 10 drivers. Features are missing, power saving ability is not working right reducing battery life, sleep issues, bugs, lack of performance, are all side affects.

I would advice to wait until manufactures releases newer Windows 10 drivers

toaf

i let it just update. only had a soundcard issue. i have not done anything. no drivers, and the soundcard issue was a setting that changed on upgrade. there was like 8 update programs for the hardware, but Microsoft did that automatically. my SP2 boots to logon in 7 seconds now it was 23ish before. it seems to use abit more battery but not too bad

So now that Win10 was released, is the SP2 considered Win10 ready? I mean I did the upgrade to windows 10 on my SP2 and it seemed to work, but I'm getting some weird issues. So I wanted to do a clean install of win10 on the SP2 but not sure how to do that. Did someone do a FAQ for the SP2 on a clean install and will I loose anything? Like pen not working or something?

GoodBytes

I upgraded, but my experience was awful with huge issues. It got better once I installed Windows 10 Insider Preview, got the latest build from the Fast Ring, and use the latest Intel integrated graphics drivers.

The biggest issue that remain for me, is on rare occasion I need to restart the device as it lost the wireless card, and when you show the touch screen keyboard, 90% of programs/panels don't shift up like they did under Windows 8. (It was 100% for me with Windows 10 official release. Making the keyboard cover everything, and you can't see what you are doing if a text box is at the bottom or more of the screen.)

BerryAl

Windows 10 made me sp2 borderline unusable, starting to regret this purchase... What a shame, eh. Had this surface Pro 2 for 1.5 years and its already wearing thin.. Gonna factory restore to win8, update to 8.1 and then stay there for a while. It's so frustrating that win10 has a far better version of one note, but win10 is completely unusable on the surface Pro 2!!! Makes no sense and honestly feels a little bit like Microsoft doesn't care that much about us sp2 users, since the sp3 and newer have been so much more popular. 4 years is my laptop life cycle and this time it's already feeling like a struggle after less than 2.. Dang it Microsoft.