What's new

Windows 10 clean install issue!?

khangozzy

Hi all,
I got my S3 a month ago. It came with W8.1 pre installed. After MS released W10 I successfully upgraded to W10.
Now I want to clean install W10 from USB media. Followed this guide
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...urface-3/73b1b864-da90-4b40-9138-2f7ca90ca43e

but my Surface 3 couldn't able to boot from USB drive, had tried with 02 different USB drive (with both MediaCreationToolx64 and rufus).

However, it did boot from USB (created with MCTx64) if I go to Settings - Update & Security - Recovery - Advanced Startup - Boot from a disk (ex: USB or DVD) or device (UEFI only), and this is the only way to clean install W10 on my Surface 3.

Is my Surface 3 UEFI firmware have problem?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is the easiest way to do it, otherwise you have to enable legacy USB from the UEFI setup IIRC and press volume rocker down while booting to a FAT32 USB Drive.

OP
K

khangozzy

That is the easiest way to do it, otherwise you have to enable legacy USB from the UEFI setup IIRC and press volume rocker down while booting to a FAT32 USB Drive.
The problem is why my S3 can not boot from W10 USB media, as I heard in the guide link and others forum people can boot the S3 normally to clean install W10.
S3 uEFI settings doesnt have option to enbale legacy USB.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you applied all of the Firmware Updates? Also Advanced Boot boot from USB will accomplish the same....

OP
K

khangozzy

Have you applied all of the Firmware Updates? Also Advanced Boot boot from USB will accomplish the same....
After upgraded W10, I also installed S3 fw via Windows Update, but no way to directly boot from USB media. Didn't try the S3 recovery usb with W8.1.

Wht do u means Advanced Boot from USB?

OP
K

khangozzy

Just talked with MS support, they suggested restore to factory settings use recovery image. Will see if it fix the usb boot issue.

Karmen

Sorry for reviving this thread. I was having issues with booting from usb as well, and I got this to work:

1. Press down Power and Volume + together for 15 second for a reset.
2. Press Power to turn it on, and press Volume + to boot into UEFI
3. Make sure that you disable Secure Boot Device, and boot order is Network -> USB -> SSD
4. Press down Power and Volume + together for 15 second for a reset. (just like first step)
5. Instead of pressing Power briefly to power it on. Hold it down until it recognizes and boot into usb.

Maybe this will help.