What's new

Win8 Tablet Input Panel

WAR

I cannot understand why Microsoft eliminated the floating Tablet Input Panel which accepted handwritten input. It was so nice to have it pop up whenever my pen clicked on an area into which I wanted to enter content.

Now, our options are the keyboard which takes up 1/3 of the screen, or the movable input panel which doesn't accommodate:mad: handwriting. Does this bother anyone else as much as me?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Lower right hand corner, select the button that looks like a Keyboard and switch to Pen Input...as far as the Floating TIP, the ink APIs were re-written for Windows 8.x with out a Shim for backwards compatibility so legacy Win32 code doesn't work, but Office 2013 does and if ISVs update their code it work much like it did in Windows 7 or earlier, but software needs to be re-written. BTW - It works as expected in the Modern UI.

OP
WAR

WAR

Thanks, Jeff.

I do understand that I can click on the keyboard and select pen input, and move it around the screen. However, it is 5x larger than the old TIP and many times covers the fields I'd like to enter data into . . . .

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If the Unified Inking Group gets their way, the only input a pen will do is lay down ink....it will be a difficult transition for traditional TabletPC users but better for the larger user base in the long run....