What's new

Win 10 out a while how does it run on S3 with 2Gb RAM?

MrMrMr

Now Win 10 been out a while, how does it run on a surface 3 with 2Gb RAM?

Is it a specific version for S3 atom? How does it run now with all the extra updates etc on for general usage, office, any games, using internet etc.

Thanks

Plantje

I'm using Windows 10 for quite a while now. As well on the S3 as on some 2GB RAM devices. My S3 is a 4GB RAM version, but CPU wise it's the same. The CPU is handling everything just fine.

My older tablets have an Intel Atom N450 CPU and 2GB RAM. You have to be patient with those. With the S3 you notice some lag here and there, but it's not a big issue. I see that Slack is using quite a lot of system resources. And as soon as you start using Facebook (especially on Edge) you can see a drain in resources.

I really hope a Surface 4 M3 will be out at some point.

OP
M

MrMrMr

Well I've now got my surface 3, upgraded from a surface 2.

I'm finding the S3 a little, stuttery/hangs a bit, sometimes settings windows crashing/disappearing. Is this normal?

I'm, maybe the only one ha, that think I prefer the surface 2 interface, in respect to the Windows arrangement, touch screen shortcuts etc. I've never used Win 10 so it maybe me getting used to it also.

I know there is a tablet mode which I often use, but it just doesn't seem to "flow" as well.

I've factory reset, wiped it completely, checked for all updates, couldn't believe it that there were no Windows updates at all, only a firmware and defender update, is that correct?

Any comments, anything I can check? Any tests I can run etc.

Thanks

Plantje

Do you have the 2GB or 4GB one? I have a 4GB RAM/64 GB storage.... ideal if you ask me!

I Played with a Samsung Tab S Pro yesterday. Nice stuff! That is competing with an Apple iPad Pro! If you press the screen you don't see anything of it. Try that with a Surface (3/Pro 3 or Pro 4 doesn't differ for that matter)
If Samsung creates a new one with a 9.7" 3:2 screen with LTE I think I will make the switch!

With regards to Windows 10: it is a matter of getting used to. And the good news is: you WILL get used to it! I am one of the few people that never had any issues with Windows 8 and it took me a few days and I was completely switched.

The tablet mode will be better (more like Windows 8) with the Redstone update coming this summer.

I tend to look for stuff that I can test as well. Why not just use it and see if you run into issues? Today I had a chat with Microsoft support and they are very happy to help if something occurs.

OP
M

MrMrMr

It's the 2Gb/64Gb version, I thought only the 128Gb version that had 4Gb RAM?

That Samsung S pro does look very very nice, personally I don't think LTE options are that popular with it being able to use your phone as a hotspot.

I hope I do, it just didn't feel as smooth as my surface 2 on RT at the moment. I'll look into the redstone thing, hopefully this may help then