What's new

WIN 10 CLEAN INSTALL OR ALLOW UPGRADE?

Lafayette

AM unsure which will be the best way to go: simple upgrade or clean install.

Next week or at least in coming weeks we will be going to WIN 10, those of us who deem to do so.

Has anyone an informed opinion as to whether it will be a good idea to have a clean install of WIN 10 (even if this is possible at all?) or simply allow the update/ upgrade to take place?

I have all my docs/ music/ pics etc., files on a separate storage device so no concerns about files.

Yes settings will have to be re-established but most of my settings are default.

Apps are from the Microsoft app store likely will be reinstalled either way.

Though software such as MS Office and Printer drivers and others will have to be reinstalled if clean install.

Thoughts will be appreciated.

Zog1971

Thanks for posting this question as I was just starting to research the same thing online today. I've recently started to have some issues where I think a fresh install of 8.1 may be in order but was thinking I would wait until 10 came out. So, if I am to understand leeshor's post correctly, I will need to first upgrade to Windows 10 and THEN do a fresh install? From some sites I visited today it made it seem like I would have an option to upgrade or do clean install. Any input would be appreciated as I feel there are many out there that are going to be asking the same thing.

Last edited:

Rob Cohen

@leeshor is right but I plan to do a clean install after upgrading. It's a good opportunity to have a nice clean system. Also, I don't plan to be in a hurry do upgrade my main computer since my livelihood depends on it. A few weeks won't hurt. I have a Virtualbox copy to play with.

OP
L

Lafayette

I suppose it depends on your existing system.

If you haven't cleaned it out for a while, a clean install (yes, after the completed WIN10 upgrade) can get rid of a lot of latent files and registry items from older systems.

My SP3 is only 4 months old. I intend to get the upgrade when it's available to me.

May eventually do a clean install, once WIN10 is considered stable and after new updates come out, probably in about 6-8 months.

Cyb3rDud3

You don't have to perform a clean install to get rid of 'latent' files or orphaned registry items. You can do that as part of normal maintenance any time.

Johnny365

On another laptop, can you install Windows 10 to an external drive and then swap drives inside? I want to eventually upgrade to an SSD and rather have Windows 10 installed directly to do the swap. Can it be installed this way?