What's new

Will not start even after hard reboot steps

mikecox

My SB will not turn on.

I followed the hard reboot steps below which has worked in the past when this occurred but it will not work this time.

Step 1:
Press/hold the Power button for 30 seconds.
Step 2:
Press/hold volume-up button and the power button for 15 seconds.
The screen may flash logo... but continue holding for 15 seconds.
Step 3:
wait 10 seconds.
Step 4:
Press and release the power button

I considered the possibility of a low battery so I disconnected the docking station and used the battery charger that came with the computer. I tried the above steps a couple of hours later with the same negative result.

When I press the power button the tiny light on the Fn key blinks once. But that is the only indication that pressing the power button is doing anything.

Megoapesnut

I had the same problem with my very first SB. This happened after 32 days. I took it to the closest Microsoft store and they said that they had never seen that before. They were going to give me a replacement but the model I had was not in stock. Luckily, Best Buy took pity on me and gave me a replacement even though it was two days past their 30 day return policy.

BubbaUK

I had something similar recently, though my Fn key blinked continually on & off. No amount of charging the clipboard and the base helped. I eventually sent it back & got a refund.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Thanks for your responses, Sadly, my SB has been out of warranty for about a year. I'm guessing I'm dealing with a dead battery, which, I guess, started when the tablet battery stopped talking a charge almost a year ago.

Looks like I will have to figure out where to get a replacement. I understand MS will replace bad units, after the warranty has expired, for $300. Of course, that leaves me with a lot of personal files, all backed up, but personal, on the machine I want to be replaced.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Yes. I'll take it there tomorrow to see what they can do about this. At this point I'm mostly concerned about sending this machine to parts unknown for a replacement with all my data still on the failed unit.

Plantje

Thanks for your responses, Sadly, my SB has been out of warranty for about a year. I'm guessing I'm dealing with a dead battery, which, I guess, started when the tablet battery stopped talking a charge almost a year ago.

Looks like I will have to figure out where to get a replacement. I understand MS will replace bad units, after the warranty has expired, for $300. Of course, that leaves me with a lot of personal files, all backed up, but personal, on the machine I want to be replaced.
So, it stopped charging the battery right after the warranty was expired? That sucks!