What's new

Why can you only have 5 PDFs open at once?

ctitanic

Most of the time, opening a document takes few second. So the question is, why to keep more than 5 documents opened at the same time using memory? I live constantly closing anything that I don't need or that I'm not using at the current moment. That keeps me with the best performance that you can possible get from the SP3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can only have five because they only have five fingers on one hand... it was their interpretation of Steve Jobs one handed operation... :D or it was a parody of the movie A Fist Full of Dollars called A Fist Full of PDFs. :confused:
Arbitrary.

toaf

i thought PDFs where memory whores, why would you want that many open. well i guess if they are small size ones... but still

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
There should be essentially no limit. Just recently, I did taxes, and also had a big financial closing to work on. Both required more than five .pdf files open. They are not only to read, but also to copy text from, sign and mark up, etc.

Arbitrary. Should be no limit, until resources at hand are exhausted.

Why would I ever need more than five tabs open in a browser?
... browse more than five documents in OneNote, despite its name?
... open more than five documents in OneNote, despite its name?
... more than five notes in a song?
... more than five songs in my collection?
... any song longer than five minutes?
... more than five minutes of battery life?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There should be essentially no limit. Just recently, I did taxes, and also had a big financial closing to work on. Both required more than five .pdf files open. They are not only to read, but also to copy text from, sign and mark up, etc.

Arbitrary. Should be no limit, until resources at hand are exhausted.

Why would I ever need more than five tabs open in a browser?
... browse more than five documents in OneNote, despite its name?
... open more than five documents in OneNote, despite its name?
... more than five notes in a song?
... more than five songs in my collection?
... any song longer than five minutes?
... more than five minutes of battery life?
Not only that but try and find one of those PDFs you download...you know like it rolled off the list of five and you want to reopen it... hint, not in downloads and not in my documents.
Who's keeping the loonies on the path?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which PDF Reader are you using? I can open as many PDFs that I need to in Drawboard PDF.

I am forever getting the popup in drawboard telling me i have the maximum number of pdf's open, and don't seem to have any option to tell drawboard to dump whatever pdf was open when i close it down, so unless i manually close each pdf through app commands, i'll often just click a pdf on a webpage and drawboard will startup and just say hey, nope. Would be nice to be able to set it to start the app without having to continue from where you left off.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I am forever getting the popup in drawboard telling me i have the maximum number of pdf's open, and don't seem to have any option to tell drawboard to dump whatever pdf was open when i close it down, so unless i manually close each pdf through app commands, i'll often just click a pdf on a webpage and drawboard will startup and just say hey, nope. Would be nice to be able to set it to start the app without having to continue from where you left off.
After one of the updates around the first of the year, I'm getting the prompt that I have too many open as well, but I'm able to open 12+ PDF files before I get the error...