What's new

Who's upgrading from Surface RT to Surface 2?

bulls96

I have a Surface RT and love it and it is capable of doing things i need it to do.

I swore i was gonna get the new Surface Pro when it comes out but right now I am not feeling it. The more i read about the next gen srufaces, the less i feel i want to upgrade to a Surface Pro 2.

WHen i think about it, I would be perfectly happy with an RT that has an HD screen, lapability and a lighter weight.

WHo is on the same boat as i am?

oion

I am (upgrading, that is).

The key factors for me are faster processor, larger built-in storage, USB3, even longer battery life, 2-stage kickstand; I usually intend to keep my mobile devices for at least 4-5 years before an upgrade, so the the significant improvement in Surface 2 means starting at a higher peak for my purposes, though I love my RT too. The other items are bonuses, like lighter weight. I preordered a Type2 cover as well primarily for the "silent" claim (and color), but I worry about the lost 1mm stroke, which is actually significant since these things are measured in mm as it is (pitch is already great for me). If the stroke is too shallow for me, I hope I can exchange it quickly for an old school Type. Likewise, I hope there's a switch somewhere to turn off backlighting since I never need it and don't care for the extra battery drain.

D

Deleted member 10837

I am (upgrading, that is).

The key factors for me are faster processor, larger built-in storage, USB3, even longer battery life, 2-stage kickstand; I usually intend to keep my mobile devices for at least 4-5 years before an upgrade, so the the significant improvement in Surface 2 means starting at a higher peak for my purposes, though I love my RT too. The other items are bonuses, like lighter weight. I preordered a Type2 cover as well primarily for the "silent" claim (and color), but I worry about the lost 1mm stroke, which is actually significant since these things are measured in mm as it is (pitch is already great for me). If the stroke is too shallow for me, I hope I can exchange it quickly for an old school Type. Likewise, I hope there's a switch somewhere to turn off backlighting since I never need it and don't care for the extra battery drain.

Surface Newsroom: Surface 2 Event

They stated the keyswitch length of the Typecover 2 has been reduced from 2.5mm to 1.5mm.

oion

Surface Newsroom: Surface 2 Event

They stated the keyswitch length of the Typecover 2 has been reduced from 2.5mm to 1.5mm.

Ehhh, yeah, I'll have to see how that feels in practice. Still better than the Touch, for my purposes, but...

Back when the ultramobile market was still nascent, both key pitch and stroke were marketable assets in the compact form factor compared to the normal 5-6 pounders with full keyboards (i.e. larger pitch and stroke to reach full-size feel). It's interesting that MS decided to sell a smaller stroke as a plus.

Just pre-ordered online my Surface 2 today, my first tablet actually. I am not expecting it to be a laptop replacement but had to order the type keyboard which was a bit pricey. I think MS should have bundled it with the Surface 2 or offered it at a more reasonable price. Anyway, I will wait for it to arrive and see if it will fit my daily browsing needs.

Omni

I am going to get one but I'm in the process of buying a house at the moment which is going to cost me a lot of money :(

Johntxk

I'll upgrade to the Surface 2. This machine has become my primary device in spite of all the tech that I do own.

I'm not... here's why:
[video=youtube;KxTM4Ex4y94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTM4Ex4y94[/video]
This is a short video of my tweaked Surface RT (running 8.1 RTM) opening Office RT apps. In the background is a video that someone took at a Microsoft Store of the performance of the Surface 2 opening Office RT apps.

I'm delighted with the new performance of the RT.

kristalsoldier

I'm not... here's why:
[video=youtube;KxTM4Ex4y94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTM4Ex4y94[/video]
This is a short video of my tweaked Surface RT (running 8.1 RTM) opening Office RT apps. In the background is a video that someone took at a Microsoft Store of the performance of the Surface 2 opening Office RT apps.

I'm delighted with the new performance of the RT.

Thanks for the video. Very interesting. Aside from running 8.1, what other "tweaks" did you make to your RT, if you don't mind my asking?