What's new

Who is running without virus software?

Geneo

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good" ~ Steven Wright

Going without AV is like standing in the middle of a freeway, during rush hour, with your back to the traffic.
Using Windows Defender is like a blind man trying to cross a freeway, at night. He feels perfectly safe....until...

Over the years I've read some pretty sad reviews of Defender. "It's better than nothing." pretty much sums it up. There's much better options out there. People tend to forget that the purpose of AV is to not only protect yourself, but to not pass on infections to others.
Don't be a "carrier".
Only you can prevent forest fires.

Enrico D.

thank you perfect, like I knew it and I didn't spend time to update my knowledge about denfeder, so we continue with avast and avg, if are on the top of most popular windows software there is a reason!!!!

annabanana

View attachment 3875 View attachment 3874

I use avast, the most 2 populars antivirus are avast and avg. I like more avast because it is more pratical on my view.

When avast is enabled seem that I can have windows defender active also, at least for what I remember from windows control panels, I will go to check now again.

I don't remember to have ever used windows defender because I always used avg and avast because everybody was using it and I think are updated well with latest viruses.

Now the question is, who is able to tell me and explain if could worth to disable avast and use just windows defender? is it risky?

In the task manager I don't see any load that is causing issue from avast, so I have no reason to change for that, but usually avast has a lot of protection and scanning when I surf, download a file etc etc so some time load cpu of course. Don't know with windows defender.

It is NOT recommended to run two anti virus apps in real time together!!! They are fighting each other and it actually lowers your protection instead of increasing it. Not to mention the drain on your system. Much better to use Avast only. You can disable Windows Defender in Services - right click and disable.

malberttoo

It is NOT recommended to run two anti virus apps in real time together!!! They are fighting each other and it actually lowers your protection instead of increasing it. Not to mention the drain on your system. Much better to use Avast only. You can disable Windows Defender in Services - right click and disable.

+1, well said.

Arizona Willie

I disabled Defender ( useless ) and I run Avast Premier on all my machines.
I don't see any slowing on my Surface Pro I --- at all.

leeshor

I use Symantec Endpoint Protection. It disables Defender on install but if you go to the control panel - Windows Defender - tools the is a one click option there somewhere in the admin control to turn it off.

DeathMoJo

I use Panda Security on my SP2. Works well, has caught a couple things and makes about a 1mb ram footprint so I can live with that.

sdreamer

Just Windows Defender like many. I supplement my safety by using TPLs in IE to help prevent stuff from popping up in advertisements, which seems to be the most common way.