What's new

Which Micro SD card to buy

Toni Mathias

Hello,

I would like to put a Micro SD card in my new Surface 3 Pro, 256GB 15. Anyone have any suggestions on which one to buy?

I would ultimately like to store all my pictures on it.

thank you!

leeshor

SanDisk, Kingston and Samsung are all good one, (there are others),. The trick is to get one from a reputable vendor as there are a lot of fake cards out there.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Samsung Evo is a nice card with up to 48MBps speed.
While the Samsung Pro goes up to 90 MBps

I'd think the Evo speed class would be more than adequate for general use.
I have the Pro in my SP3 because I push the limits although I have EVOs in other devices.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My SanDisk 128GB works fine. That would add half again the capacity of your device, but the larger a SDXC card is, the slower it is, too. Speed is not an issue for my photos or music, though.

OP
Toni Mathias

Toni Mathias

My SanDisk 128GB works fine. That would add half again the capacity of your device, but the larger a SDXC card is, the slower it is, too. Speed is not an issue for my photos or music, though.
Which 128GB one do you have? I am interested in that size but looking around to get the best cost. Looks like they are roughly in the range of $119 up.

thank you!

Dblkk

Depends on speed/size. Unfortunately if you want space like 128gb, your sacrificing 80mbps+ speeds. As those cards go only to 64gb.
I have SanDisk 128gb (*newest model on amazon)
I have Samsung pro 64gb (just bought, one mainly used)
I also have the SanDisk extreme 64gb

Brand wise, id stick with reputable, and locally or amazon if can. SanDisk is great. Samsung I just bought ($45 for the pro 64gb, wow couldn't pass up), it seems fine. Speeds are definitely there, not sure about long term. I've always used SanDisk, and they're A+. My extreme 64gb I've had now since SP1 launch week. No problems, was my daily until I decided to try out the Samsung. I bought the 128gb for when I want/need massive storage. But at speeds of around 40mbps, it takes twice the time to transfer. So, I haven't really noticed that I NEED the speed, but I always use my faster cards. My 64gb has about 30gb used. I save all pictures, videos, music, data ect on sd. Only programs or 'needed data' on the SSD.

But since I picked up my ravepower card reader/WiFi router/battery back/ect, I have quick easy access to my SD cards/USB HHD'S, so I usually read/write directly over WiFi and onto external drives now.

The fastest 128GB microSDXC card just got released by Lexar at 95MB/s. Adorama has it for $129.99 with free shipping. This is the card I plan on purchasing since it's made by Micron, which is very good quality in my opinion. Just note that this card is available for pre-order, and should be released in a few more weeks.

Lexar 128GB High-Performance microSDXC 633x Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card with USB 3.0 Reader - $129.99

61n2PSgBetL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Fazer Rider

Hello,

I would like to put a Micro SD card in my new Surface 3 Pro, 256GB 15. Anyone have any suggestions on which one to buy?

I would ultimately like to store all my pictures on it.

thank you!
Hi there,

I use a Samsung 64Gb pro card. R/W +/- 75/60 Mb/s. It's a very fast card, happy with it. Nearly as fast as an external HDD.

I also ordered some 128Gb microSd cards from China for $14 (USD) each. I have not received them, will let you know what to expect (from el cheapo).
I also have some cheap 64Gb microSd cards from the same supplier, for $9 (USD). R/W 30/10 MBs (MegaBytes). I roughly expect the same performance.