What's new

Poll Which docking station do you prefer for the SP4?

Which docking station do you prefer for your SP4?

• new MS brick-shaped dock

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • old MS docking station (clamp-style)

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • 3rd-party USB/DisplayLink dock

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • USB hub + separate monitor cable

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No dock for me!

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

surfdock

So I'm a huge docking and multi-monitor fan and the guy behind the crazy 3-in-1-Dock project shown on youtube.

I wanted to understand how folks use docking stations at their desk specifically with the Pro 4 and whether folks prefer the older clamp-style docking station or the new brick-shaped one. I also wanted to understand some of the issues folks are having, especially with external monitors so I can try to improve the experience. If you want to help, please feel free to PM me or check the links in my signature.

Forgive me if the questions seem odd - I'm not a marketing guy, I'm just an engineer with rather quirky methods doing this project in my spare time at home.

[BTW I asked the same questions of the SP3 sub-forum - I'm really interested to see if there is a preference difference across SP3 vs SP4 users so hopefully this does not abuse the cross-post policy.]

Last edited:

Zkyevolved

This is funny. I'm actually looking for one now. I replaced my Sp2 for my SP4, and I want to try and use it more than my desktop, but often I want to use my monitor, keyboard and mouse. So... I'm looking for one! I'm not too specific about design, even though I prefer the new MS dock, but I also like ones like this:

71dPHlqP%2B3L._SL1500_.jpg
\

Jay Marino

I much prefer the SP3 docking station that clamps as opposed to the SP4 docking station that is a brick. the clamp style is more clean, everything is hidden behind the device. the brick just clutters up the desk with more cords and wires. also, when adding another monitor, i have the Microsoft mini display cord that plugs into the side of the sp3, its no compatible with the device, i had to order another cord that would work to have another monitor.

eholbik

I prefer the S4 dock (now that its working. hahaha)

At my desk i have 2 computer monitors (making one of them my main display)-- use the SP4 with display in Portrait Flipped mode..laying flat on my desk like a legal pad. I have OneNote opened on that display and use it for writing notes with the pen.

There is only 1 cable going to the SP4 and with the Portrait Flipped display--- the cable are on top and not in the way.

Your not locked in 1 positon--- other times ill position the SP4 in landscape..and work that way.

Sent from mTalk