What's new

When do you use SP3 in tablet mode?

InspectHerGadget

I use my i7 SP3 rarely in tablet mode but it can be handy when writing in OneNote and a few other situations. I would say 98% of the time though it is used with the keyboard attached. I use an iPad for web browsing and the like where I want a tablet.

I tried the Surface 2 as a tablet but the form factor was awkward and it was slow on the net. My wife has it now and uses it mostly with keyboard attached and is very happy with it.

Kris

Depends on what you mean by "Use in tablet mode". If you mean no mouse and keyboard. Then I use mine 100% of the time in tablet mode, I don't have the surface cover. I use it for laptop/desktop applications, using the pen and touch keyboard though.

compnovo

Most of the time. I only use "laptop" mode when I'm doing content creation (usually when on the road doing work type stuff). I'm in portrait tablet mode when reading magazines (all my subscriptions are electronic now), and landscape tablet mode when watching movies while I exercise, surfing the web, playing the latest Halo game, etc.

Eldergeek

Most of the time. I only use "laptop" mode when I'm doing content creation (usually when on the road doing work type stuff). I'm in portrait tablet mode when reading magazines (all my subscriptions are electronic now), and landscape tablet mode when watching movies while I exercise, surfing the web, playing the latest Halo game, etc.
Hi, I'm very curious to know how SP3 owners use their SP3s, specifically as a tablet. I can definitely see the unique value of this device for people that want a real computer that they can write or draw on. But for those that don't need to write or draw, is there still a lot of value in having a hybrid device like this, as opposed to a traditional (ultraportable) laptop?

Specifically I would like to ask:

- What are people's scenarios for using the SP3 in tablet/touch mode other than for writing and drawing?
- How often (percentage of the time?) do you find yourself using the SP3 in tablet mode?

Thanks in advance!

Not traveling currently, so using in tablet mode, for Spotify mainly using external speakers. So much so, that I finally sprung for the Dock. I like the dock a lot: not using currently for any external displays, but does make it easier to undock and use elsewhere in the house, with or without the type cover. Plus I now have a spare AC adapter, and the added bonus of not putting stress on the SP3's own ports. Percentage: currently 80% tablet

mtalinm

I used to use it in portrait mode to grade papers, read and mark things up, etc.

Then I bought a Surface 3 and realized how awkward the SP3 is in portrait/tablet mode.

Now I mostly leave the SP3 in the dock.

compnovo

Not traveling currently, so using in tablet mode, for Spotify mainly using external speakers. So much so, that I finally sprung for the Dock. I like the dock a lot: not using currently for any external displays, but does make it easier to undock and use elsewhere in the house, with or without the type cover. Plus I now have a spare AC adapter, and the added bonus of not putting stress on the SP3's own ports. Percentage: currently 80% tablet
I think I'm pretty close to that percentage but I should have mentioned that I have a desktop that's used exclusively for content creation when I'm not on the road. Without the desktop I'd probably be closer to 50/50 (ballpark guess).

lhauser

I'm a little bit disappointed in the SP3 because it's a tad heavy to really work as a tablet, at least in the way I used the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 the SP3 replaced -- it's just not as comfortable to hold in my hands. I think the on-screen keyboard is pretty good in landscape mode, though, and I definitely fold the keyboard under when I'm reading, surfing or watching something. The SP3 is my primary computer outside of work, so when I'm doing any serious writing, I use the keyboard. Even in tablet mode, I rarely use portrait, because the kickstand is so useful.