What's new

What accessories do you plan to use with your Surface Pro?

fps_dean

I am planning on buying a type cover with mine, and probably a leather case. Amazon has a few for the Surface RT (I imagine the Pro will fit) for cheap that look pretty nice. That will be all I get, initially although at some point I may get a Micro-SD card to go with it.

And maybe I'll pick up another set of Koss Porta Pros. I keep my current set at work.

OP
J

jneikum

I plan to use my external Plextor Blu-Ray/DVD drive:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VJ0FR0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
It's great for playing any DVDs/Blu-Ray discs and uses a single USB port for power/data transfer. Best of all it seems to use incredibly little power from my Netbook so I'm hoping it won't have too significant an impact on my Pro battery life.

I have an External DVD Drive from HP I bought when I got my netbook, but I can't find the power supply for it. Hoping I won't need it though, but it would be nice to have! I can always buy a new power supply if I need to but I'm hoping I won't!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Benny, there are several threads about cleaning the touch cover. They type keyboard is like a traditional keyboard and can be cleaned in the same ways (compressed air, a small vacuum, etc.)

ArnoldC

Are you able to wipe the keyboard down? The advertisements mention how clean and spill resistant it is.

Spill resistant yes. But wear resistant in just a month of use, it isn't. It still works, don't get me wrong. The white patch on the spacebar is just my thumb hitting it, while the white patch on the trackpad is from scrolling.

OP
J

jneikum

Had a chit chat with my IT guy today. He recommended rather than the USB to Ethernet Adapter to just buy a Wireless Access point. If I could find one super cheap I might consider it. Just not sure if it's worth it if the only convenience it provides me is not have to hook one piece in my USB hub, which I'll probably leave plugged in at work all the time anyway and just plug that into my Surface when I get to work. All my gadgets I plan on plugging into it would only be needed outside the office on rare occasions anyway. Is there another benefit of the wireless access point I may be missing? My Surface would be the only computer with access to it.

socos

On my list:

Type Cover
1TB External Drive
64GB SDXC card
Compact USB 3.0 hub was on my list until I read about this! :

The Kanex DualRole - A 3-port USB 3.0 hub AND Gigabit Ethernet. They're marketing it as a Mac accessory but it supports basically everything (XP, Vista, 7, 8, Linux) Drivers are available on their site. Unfortunately they are also selling it at a "Mac"-style price of $69...

Kanex DualRole USB 3.0

I plan to use the external drive as a dumping ground for non-essential applications and files. A place to offload my camera if I'm on vacation. SDXC will be permanently plugged in to complement the builtin 128GB (err was it 83GB usable?).

J515OP

Super Moderator
The Kanex DualRole - A 3-port USB 3.0 hub AND Gigabit Ethernet. They're marketing it as a Mac accessory but it supports basically everything (XP, Vista, 7, 8, Linux) Drivers are available on their site. Unfortunately they are also selling it at a "Mac"-style price of $69...

Kanex DualRole USB 3.0

That is very nice. I think the price is fair to slightly high given the design and spec, with the exception that at the price the external power cord should come with it at that price. Of course in a couple of years when USB 3.0 is completely standard the price will seem ridiculously high.

socos

Yeah, I'm probably not going to need wired Ethernet and I already have a USB 10/100 mbps adapter if I need it. I ended up just ordering one of these:

ORICO 4-port USB 3.0 hub
$19.99 on Amazon - Currently have a 5% savings deal on it (whopping $1 savings woo hoo)
Amazon.com: ORICO W8PH4 -BK 4 - Port Portable HUB 3.0 HUB For Ultra Book and Windows 8 Tablet PC USB 3.0 HUB (Black): Computers & Accessories

They actually use a Surface in the product photos! :)

That is very nice. I think the price is fair to slightly high given the design and spec, with the exception that at the price the external power cord should come with it at that price. Of course in a couple of years when USB 3.0 is completely standard the price will seem ridiculously high.