What's new

Well, now I am sold

BillJ

I had been using win10 preview on a laptop, and was intentionally NOT upgrading my SP3 due to my concerns about "tablet mode" functionality, compared with ver 8.1.

But after accustoming myself to the new OS, I realized that everything I did in 8.1 could be replicated, with just a slightly different swipe here or there. So I took the plunge.

My SP3 is now running Win10, and I really don't miss anything!

My advice to anyone who is still on the fence, wondering if to upgrade: go for it!

zhenya

Agreed. Many of the changes are, as usual, really just complaints about having to change what one is used to. For example, the quick-switch gesture from the left of the screen on Windows 8.1 was pretty nice, but it was also really only great for switching between two apps. Beyond that it became a bit clunky. The new system isn't quite as good for that quick-switch between two apps, but it's better the rest of the time.

Chuck_IV

To me Windows 10's tablet mode made several thing more INefficient. Rather than repost, you can see my reasoning in the "Windows 10, not impressed" thread.

In 8/8.1 they put all their effort in making a better touch experience and neglected the desktop experience. Now with Windows 10 it seems like they did the opposite, putting most of their effort in making a better desktop experience while neglecting the tablet experience.

zhenya

I don't think that they neglected the tablet experience, rather they are trying to make the transition from one to the other less jarring, or more optimized for each specific interface. In some respects, the tablet interface is much more cohesive than it was before where you basically had all desktop, or all touch. Win 10 tries to make the entire interface better for touch, regardless of which apps you are using.

The fact is that the majority of Windows users don't use touch in any way shape or form, so they were probably right to focus on the desktop a bit more for the initial release, knowing that improvements to touch could be implemented over time. This also gives them an opportunity to gather more feedback, before settling in on what could become just another short-lived UI. By taking their time, they are more likely to get it right the first time.

Last edited:

Chuck_IV

Sure they can improve touch in time but I guess my beef is why did they regress on the touch interface to begin with.

Some of it is basic stuff. I mean does the portrait mode need to have its tiles condensed that much that you can only put 3 across? In landscape, does the spacing between the groups need to be that huge?

Why remove the app that used to let you swap to the desktop quickly? Why not leave it and allow it to instantly turn tablet mode on and off, instead of having to swipe from the right to get the menu, touch to turn off tablet mode then touch somewhere to remove the menu? That's one of the inefficient parts I talked about above.

This is what's frustrating... the simple things that WERE there but are now gone. Why?

Last edited:

Cyb3rDud3

I agree with the OP, it is a much more coherent experience. It now feels like a proper multi-use hybrid device where previously it works but it not only felt disconnected it actually was disconnected. Much improved.

lhauser

I love the tablet experience in Win10, especially after I discovered the setting to keep the taskbar on in tablet mode. It drove me nuts until I discovered it, as I couldn't find a way to open another program without hitting the Windows button, which for some reason I always forget. My most critical programs are on the taskbar, not yet on the Start menu. Anyway, I'm pleased.

Chuck_IV

I love the tablet experience in Win10, especially after I discovered the setting to keep the taskbar on in tablet mode. It drove me nuts until I discovered it, as I couldn't find a way to open another program without hitting the Windows button, which for some reason I always forget. My most critical programs are on the taskbar, not yet on the Start menu. Anyway, I'm pleased.

Lol, where is the setting to turn it off? Mine is on all the time in tablet mode, by default. I find no need for the taskbar in tablet mode, it just gets in the way for me.

lhauser

Lol, where is the setting to turn it off? Mine is on all the time in tablet mode, by default. I find no need for the taskbar in tablet mode, it just gets in the way for me.

Settings-->System-->Tablet Mode-->Hide App Icons On The Taskbar In Tablet Mode (off or on)

Chuck_IV

Settings-->System-->Tablet Mode-->Hide App Icons On The Taskbar In Tablet Mode (off or on)

That doesn't hide the actual taskbar. That just hides the icons ON the taskbar. The taskbar itself is still there.

Heck I even tried hiding the taskbar in desktop mode and while it hides it there, when in tablet mode, it is still stays visible all the time.

Sure they can improve touch in time but I guess my beef is why did they regress on the touch interface to begin with.

Some of it is basic stuff. I mean does the portrait mode need to have its tiles condensed that much that you can only put 3 across? In landscape, does the spacing between the groups need to be that huge?

Why remove the app that used to let you swap to the desktop quickly? Why not leave it and allow it to instantly turn tablet mode on and off, instead of having to swipe from the right to get the menu, touch to turn off tablet mode then touch somewhere to remove the menu? That's one of the inefficient parts I talked about above.

This is what's frustrating... the simple things that WERE there but are now gone. Why?
Here's how I handled the issue of too much spacing between groups being so large....and in the process, it also took are of the taskbar being too narrow, even in tablet mode. I simply went to Display Properties and went to the slider for "Make things larger." I slid it all the way up to 200%. Now my taskbar is at a respectable width for a touchscreen and also, the gap between groups on the start screen is much closer to what it was on Win 8.