What's new

Welcome to the new Surface Book forum

leeshor

13,5", discreet GPU, detachable keyboard available Oct. 26th starting at US $1,499.00

BillJ

This beauty is really, really tempting. I love my SP3, but I also have a laptop that already does most of what I would use the Surface Book (SB) for. (That laptop is the Spectre X360). So I really can't justify the expenditure for the SB, but of course I will probably wind up buying one anyway.

Here's what might keep me from getting the SB:
- with the keyboard attached it weighs the same as the Spectre, and actually takes up more space when closed due to the shape of the hinge
- the keyboard is "perfect" according to Mr Panay, but how much better than the Spectre?
- will real world battery life actually be 12 hours?
- when detached from the keyboard, the tablet has no stand. Also no ports.
- my wife will go on a shopping spree herself when she finds out how much I spent ("If you can do it, so can I...."), leading to financial ruin

But I REALLY want one of these; this is the perfect machine for Photoshop. Maybe, I could just not tell my wife...

cemian

My first impression of the surface book after I saw the unveiling of the surface pro 4 was confusion....why would they make a laptop when they have been so focused on making a laptop replacement? Why couldn't they just implement the gpu and possible keyboard and whatever other enhancements the book has into the surface pro 4? Would love to hear other opinions on this...was anyone confused like i was? After hyping the surface pro 4 on how amazing and super it is ..they now overshadow it by a more amazing and super device that is even more preferable to use.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My first impression of the surface book after I saw the unveiling of the surface pro 4 was confusion....why would they make a laptop when they have been so focused on making a laptop replacement? Why couldn't they just implement the gpu and possible keyboard and whatever other enhancements the book has into the surface pro 4? Would love to hear other opinions on this...was anyone confused like i was? After hyping the surface pro 4 on how amazing and super it is ..they now overshadow it by a more amazing and super device that is even more preferable to use.
Preferable to whom?
My first thought was... will the Type Cover work with this? (No it wont, connectors are different)
A lot of people asked for a "Hard" keyboard... this is it. to do it they had to make changes... that rolled into some other changes and you see the end result.
Some people asked for dedicated GPU, they got it.

IDK if calling it a laptop was smart or not, It's a Surface 2 in 1 that approaches the problem from the other angle. In the end, after the seventh day, they looked at what they had and it was good. :)

Last edited:

cemian

preferable to engineers and music writers..did you see when they were showing the staffpad video which seemed to be the old video they showed for the surface pro 3 when that was unveiled...but he was saying how the person writing on staffpad would love working on the surface pro 4 ...then they unveil the surface book and he said to the staffpad guy this is your dream machine basically nothing else gives you such a nice writing and working experience. I asked that same question...would the type cover work...i wouldn't think it would. But I was saying why couldn't they make a hard type cover for the surface pro 4 and make a dedicated GPU option for it as well? All the hype for the surface pro 4 seemed diminished when the surface book came around.

mtalinm

hard to be excited...this is a fancy Lenovo Miix or ASUS whatever. OEMs have had 2-in-1s for a long time. sure, Surface Book will be prettier and maybe have better specs but if I wanted a non-tablet I would have bought one already.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
hard to be excited...this is a fancy Lenovo Miix or ASUS whatever. OEMs have had 2-in-1s for a long time. sure, Surface Book will be prettier and maybe have better specs but if I wanted a non-tablet I would have bought one already.
Exactly people have different preferences... now you have two distinctly different Surface options. Some will want one some the other maybe a few will take both and others will go a totally different direction according to their preferences.

nogridbag

I was also a bit confused, honestly. I was all ready to buy the SP4 when they announced improvements to the touchpad and keyboard :) But the SB seems like it suits my needs better as I really need a laptop that I can occasionally use as a tablet instead of the other way around.

The SB i5 configured without the video card actually seems like an odd choice because then you're losing the ports on the display, less battery life, and no kickstand when in tablet mode just to have a fixed keyboard.