What's new

Weird stain on Surface's screen

tnz89

Hi everyone,
Today when I turned on my Surface Pro 2017, I noticed this yellow spot on the screen (kinda looks like a blurry picture of planet Saturn!)
At first I thought it was a dirt stain and tried to clean it! It really looks like a pressure spot (like when you press your finger hard on the screen and it will leave a stain for a short time)
I did not press the screen hard, or did not step on it as some people said. It just came out of nowhere.

My questions:
1- What is the main reason for this?
2- Is it possible to fix it with a software or something?
3- Should I expect more of these in the future? Or is there a chance that it will disappear spontaneously?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-05-26 at 11.54.45.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-26 at 11.54.45.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 469

Plantje

Looks like this: Surface Pro 2017 Advanced LTE: Prevent light bleed spots in the middle of the screen

I will try to answer your questions:
1: Pressure on the LED panel. Either pressure on the screen or pressure on the back. Most likely even pressure that is evenly spread causes internals to point pressure against the LED panel
2: Nope, this is hardware
3: If you still have occasions where pressure is put on the device then, yes.

I think the only way to fix this is by getting a suction cup and pull the screen and/or the back away from the internals.

Be aware: this is just my understanding! I am not a Microsoft employee and I cannot guarantee anything!

I am not willing to test with my fourth or fifth (lost count) how much pressure on which location is needed to cause this. Please do let us know if aleviating it a little bit solves this issue.

Last edited:
OP
T

tnz89

Hi,
Thanks so much for all the useful info you shared.

My Surface is in a normal protection case and I pack it everyday in a normal backpack. Although the backpack does not have any sort of protection, I always take good care of it. I just go to work and I don't lean on it etc.

I have tried the suction cup. Unfortunately it did not work. Maybe I didn't do it right. I placed its center on the stain and pull it up.
Should I use 2 cups on front and back at the same time?

Plantje

Thanks so much for all the useful info you shared.
You are most welcome. That is what this forum is for! I am sorry this has happened to you.
My Surface is in a normal protection case and I pack it everyday in a normal backpack. Although the backpack does not have any sort of protection, I always take good care of it. I just go to work and I don't lean on it etc.
What type of protection case do you use? The type cover? I did use a laptop bag with padding and everything.
I have tried the suction cup. Unfortunately it did not work. Maybe I didn't do it right. I placed its center on the stain and pull it up.
Should I use 2 cups on front and back at the same time?
I am not sure if it will help at all. It is something I saw on Apple forums. The thing is: I think you should regard the LED panel as some sort of sheet. If that gets pushed, you get these stains.