What's new

Warranty Options for used surface pro 3

Nolegrl

I bought a used Surface Pro 3 on eBay (the i5 256gb version). The surface site says the limited hardware warranty is good until March 9, 2016. This means it is out of the 45 day purchasing period for the Microsoft complete warranty. Are there any options for a similar warranty for this surface?

The unit appears to be in excellent condition. Only thing I've noticed is a small bend/dent on the bottom edge of the casing near the keyboard/dock connector. I'm not sure what could have happened to cause that and not break the screen. The seller appeared to be a discount warehouse, so I can't ask about the history.

It works well from my testing yesterday, so I have no other concerns about it. Thank you!

Last edited:

Johnny365

There is not much you can do. Even SquareTrade requires the device be purchased within 30 days with valid proof of purchase (receipt) uploaded. Just take care of it any hope for the best. You are buying it used so it's only natural that you wouldn't get the services that a brand new consumer would get. I also purchased mine used and the 1 year hardware warranty is good until 9/20/15. Mine is in perfect condition and as long as you take care of it, there shouldn't be any problems.

OP
N

Nolegrl

There is not much you can do. Even SquareTrade requires the device be purchased within 30 days with valid proof of purchase (receipt) uploaded. Just take care of it any hope for the best. You are buying it used so it's only natural that you wouldn't get the services that a brand new consumer would get. I also purchased mine used and the 1 year hardware warranty is good until 9/20/15. Mine is in perfect condition and as long as you take care of it, there shouldn't be any problems.

Thanks, that's what I figured, but I thought I'd ask just to be sure. It was $850, so a decent discount versus a new one. I'm planning on taking good care of it, but I'm also a bit worried about what might have happened prior to me owning it. I did notice a small dent on the bottom like it had been dropped or banged against something, but it is in otherwise perfect condition. I can take a picture of it later tonight.

Johnny365

Mine was the right price I was willing to pay (i5/128GB version, $400 used after some gift cards--which I later sold my 2-in-1 convertible laptop I paid $200 for, for $300 to a friend so I only paid $100 in technical terms)

The 1 year limited hardware warranty should cover minor defects (just not accidental damage like cracked screens) at a Microsoft store or via the support site by shipping your device to them and/or having them bill the MSRP of the replacement before shipping the defective device back.

I even got a free Surface Pen because the seller couldn't find theirs and MS Support was more than willing to send a free one my way. YMMV.

OP
N

Nolegrl

Mine was the right price I was willing to pay (i5/128GB version, $400 used after some gift cards--which I later sold my 2-in-1 convertible laptop I paid $200 for, for $300 to a friend so I only paid $100 in technical terms)

The 1 year limited hardware warranty should cover minor defects (just not accidental damage like cracked screens) at a Microsoft store or via the support site by shipping your device to them and/or having them bill the MSRP of the replacement before shipping the defective device back.

I even got a free Surface Pen because the seller couldn't find theirs and MS Support was more than willing to send a free one my way. YMMV.

Wow you got a good deal! I haven't noticed it being an issue and hopefully if it hasn't already caused problems that means that it won't in the future.

OP
N

Nolegrl

Okay here are the pictures
uploadfromtaptalk1432383253578.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1432383276902.jpg

Johnny365

Looks like yours was dropped at that specific point as there appears to be some paint loss. Quite an odd place to have a dent given it's so close to the glass.

OP
N

Nolegrl

Looks like yours was dropped at that specific point as there appears to be some paint loss. Quite an odd place to have a dent given it's so close to the glass.
That's what I thought. I thought it was odd for it to have been dropped there and have no damage to the screen. I've read it's impossible to replace these screens, so the drop must not have damaged it.

It doesn't bother me since I don't even see it when the keyboard is clicked in. My main concern is if that drop will cause problems with the system later after warranty.

I still have the option to return it to the seller since that dent was not listed in his description. The problem is that I've been wanting this device for so long (since release) and I'm having a hard time with the idea of returning it now that I have it.

Johnny365

Have not tried it before. You don't have to say you got it used, just that you noticed damage there after a while and haven't dropped it. Could also check with MS Support online via Chat