What's new

Vivaldi - not simply stupid -The Browser for the rest of us?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ref: The Vivaldi browser offers an easy upgrade from Google Chrome | ZDNet

Most browsers are now being dumbed down to appeal to the mass market, but Vivaldi - now at the beta 2 stage - is going the other way, to appeal to "power users"

Based on Chrome or rather open source Chromium without the Google overlord component and free of Chrome bloat? Well not so fast. Still, perhaps a worthy browser in your arsenal.

The Vivaldi browser now offers a Google-free replacement for Chrome on Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Switching requires very little effort because, like several rivals, it's based on open source Chromium code, and renders websites exactly like Chrome.

Vivaldi even runs extensions from the Chrome Web Store, including uBlock Origin and TinEye Reverse Image Search. (I've not had problems, but test your must-haves before switching.) However, the long-term aim is to deliver a browser that does what its users need, not one that needs overloading with extensions that slug the performance.

Why would anyone want to switch away from Chrome? Generally, there are three reasons. First, there's a dislike of Google's surveillance-based business model. Second, Chrome is aimed at the mass market, whereas Vivaldi is aimed at "power users". Third, there's Chrome's avaricious consumption of PC resources. The days when Chrome was "lean and mean" are long gone.

See more ... The Vivaldi browser offers an easy upgrade from Google Chrome | ZDNet

Give it a try? what do you think?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ahh the mass market appeal, I knew there was a reason I didn't like all the simplicity and kept looking for the hidden useful stuff. Maybe the worm is turning, the pendulum swinging ... or just an alternative to use when the easy button doesn't do what you wanted no matter how many times you pressed it (oh dear, that sounds a lot like doing the same thing over and over again). ;)

Last edited: