What's new

Video Editing on SP3, i5 Enough?

JoeNathan78

Hello All,

So I have been researching the SP3 extensively. I am in need of a computer and also wanted a tablet, the Surface seemed like an ideal choice. Given that I basically want it to replace my desktop (which crapped out on me months ago now), I was seriously considering the i7 model. Reason being, I work in photoshop a lot and enjoy video editing as well. Typically, I use Sony Vegas but I havent messed with it in a long long time. I want this purchase to bring back the 'good ol days', drawing, video editing, photoshop etc.

As several threads on this forum can confirm, the i7 has an array of issues associated with it. I paid close attention to the gamer threads and saw how the i5 actually performed better than the i7 on stress tests (and the SP2 i5 performed better than both, gaming wise).

I know the i5 will be fine for whatever I throw at it on PS, but can it also handle video editing? I believe I saw a post somewhere claiming that the gopro software was causing problems on the SP3, cant remember what model (i5 or i7... I wanna say i7). Nothing extremely fancy as far as video editing, just like to make them look nice.

Can anyone share their experiences or shed some light on what I could expect from the i5 for my intended uses?

Thanks,

-Jonny

ctitanic

I really never tried to edit video in my SP3. Year of using Tablets have taught me to use them as companion devices so I connect to a desktop PC remotely from my SP3 and do all heavy work in that PC. It's more efficient.

dleuen

I'm not so sure about video editing on the SP3 i5. I haven't edited but even playback of videos I have taken at 1920x1080 60p with a Nikon camera experience some pauses after a few minutes of playback. I assume this is due to the throttling because of heat. It probably will depend on what resolution and what codecs you plan to use.

ctitanic

I'm not so sure about video editing on the SP3 i5. I haven't edited but even playback of videos I have taken at 1920x1080 60p with a Nikon camera experience some pauses after a few minutes of playback. I assume this is due to the throttling because of heat. It probably will depend on what resolution and what codecs you plan to use.
Sometimes the codec used in cameras are not the best in compression. When you said 60p, do you mean 60 frame per seconds? That's a lot for that resolution.

Last edited:

ctitanic

Capture1.JPG

Ullit

This question is also interesting for me! Can you please play the videos again and check if there is really throttling? Playback and Video Editing should work quite well because of Intel Quick Sync, but maybe there are some Issues...

ctitanic

This question is also interesting for me! Can you please play the videos again and check if there is really throttling? Playback and Video Editing should work quite well because of Intel Quick Sync, but maybe there are some Issues...
When your play video the decoding should be done by the GPU no by the CPU.

Screenshot (54).png

As you can see, the CPU stays at less than 10%.

megatronium

A bit off-topic but Premiere CC 2014 performs admirably on my SP3 i7. I'd suspect that the i5 should be able to keep up as well. Rendering is not a 100% CPU task. Also be sure to install the beta intel HD5000 drivers for OpenCL support. Good luck!

OP
JoeNathan78

JoeNathan78

A bit off-topic but Premiere CC 2014 performs admirably on my SP3 i7. I'd suspect that the i5 should be able to keep up as well. Rendering is not a 100% CPU task. Also be sure to install the beta intel HD5000 drivers for OpenCL support. Good luck!
Thats definitely good news!
Off topic: any good places to look for deals on Adobe programs (PS, Illustrator, Premire)?

dleuen

I did try the same video (1920x1080 60p) that I saw issues with before, this time with XTU running to look for throttling but this time there was no stuttering, nor throttling observed. This was using Nikon ViewNX to play the video. The back got quite warm and the fan was running but no stuttering. So that may have been one of those ambient temperature cases where I saw the problems before.

I also played the same video with the Modern UI video player and the device stayed quite a bit cooler. But you obviously won't be using that app in your editing. I guess this one comes down to how efficient the application you use is. I'd say give it a try and see how it works out. It is remarkable that we can even have these discussions about doing video editing on such a small, light, portable device.