What's new

Video capability of the Surface Pro 4?

ArtIsland

I currently use a custom built desktop for my work that I built in 2012. I push two 30" Dell monitors from the unit and use it for Sketchup, Rhino, and AutoCad. Both using DisplayPorts.

Checking the new surface, it has way more updated specs than my current machine. Which is:
Win 7, i7 930, 12gb RAM, 128gb SSD and a ATI Firepro 5900 video card.

I'm interested in an i7 , 16gb RAM, 256gb Surface. The only thing I don't know is if it can handle two 30" monitors. The surface dock has all the ports I'll need, but can the Surface pro 4 graphics handle the job?

I had heard of scaling problems in previous Surface versions. However, several Rhino users said they had no problems using the Surface Pro 3 with attached Monitors. Any answers here?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
RE 30" monitor, size doesn't matter it's the resolution and connection
Skylake Graphics core m3, i5, and i7 share the same specs.
Graphics Output eDP/DP/HDMI/DVI
4K Support Yes, at 60Hz
Max Resolution (Intel® WiDi)‡ 1080p
Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4)‡ 4096x2304@24Hz
Max Resolution (DP)‡ 4096x2304@60Hz
Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡ 4096x2304@60Hz

Intel® Core™ i5-6300U Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz) Specifications

OP
A

ArtIsland

Thanks for the response. The Dell U3014 max resolution is 2560 X 1600. So it would seem that the Surface 4 could handle it easily. But does this mean that with the correct ports it could handle 2? That would be great. I'm assuming the dual monitor set up would be a function of Win 10?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
dual monitors are configured and supported by w10/W8x/W7...
The new Surface Dock, the one just released, has two DP ports which *should* make it much easier. Otherwise you had to use daisychain DP or a Hub or Displaylink over USB, or one port on the old dock and the SP3 DP port.

bsnguy

And... while you run those two monitors, the surface screen will also work; it's a three monitor setup, in reality.