What's new

Using the Surface Pro 2 and the Pen with GIMP

deldalton

Good day,

Now, I know that the Surface Pro 2 hasn't been released yet so I appreciate there may not be an answer to this question yet. But, I'm considering pre-ordering one and I don't want to regret my choice.

I would like to use the Surface Pro 2 as my primary device, as a productivity tool. I use GIMP frequently. Is anyone is aware whether MS updated their INK API drivers to support pressure sensitivity on the Surface Pro or ready for the Surface Pro 2? Or if they have added WinTab API support?

If they haven't then I only see this device slowing me down.

Many thanks!

OP
deldalton

deldalton

Penny Arcade - The MS Surface Pro

I imagine GIMP will work just fine.

My surface pro is a joy to sketch with.

Krooked. Thank you for the link, and advising of your experience drawing on the Surface Pro.

While I was waiting for a response yesterday, I was able to find this ... Wacom Feel Driver | Wacom Americas

I believe it's the WinTab driver that allows most applications to utilise the pressure-sensitive function on the pen. But, of course, the Surface Pro 2 may come with this (or a suitable alternative) already installed. If it doesn't though, then, the link above may hold the answer.

Krooked

Deldalton,
Don't forget to adjust the the pen tablet properties. The default settings are too soft for the ms stylus, so it will lay the ink and paint down too heavily. Stiffen up the settings a bit and you will unleash the full range of pressure control.

Also, if you want a rounded eraser tip, get the wacom feel pen. this one:

Amazon.com : Penabled Tablet Pc Eraser Pen : Electronics

The others have a square tip (or no) eraser.

OP
deldalton

deldalton

Deldalton,
Don't forget to adjust the the pen tablet properties. The default settings are too soft for the ms stylus, so it will lay the ink and paint down too heavily. Stiffen up the settings a bit and you will unleash the full range of pressure control.

Also, if you want a rounded eraser tip, get the wacom feel pen. this one:

Amazon.com : Penabled Tablet Pc Eraser Pen : Electronics

The others have a square tip (or no) eraser.

Thanks for the suggestions, Krooked. I'll definitely check out the settings and then pen!