What's new

Using the Surface Pen drops a Miracast connection

rbud

Hi there,

can someone test this? Because it always fails for me on my Surface Pro 3 with the current Windows 10 Version 1607.

1. Establish a Miracast connection to a screen of your choice.
  2. Press the button on your Surface Pen.
  3. The Miracast connection is dropped.

First I thought this is because I was using Windows Ink (it would be a fantastic feature to use in Meetings where I also use Miracast). But the Miracast connection is stable when I open Ink via the Taskbar icon. But as soon as I press the button on the Surface Pen which should trigger Ink or other Apps, the Miracast connection get dropped.

I have installed the December Surface updates and Windows has all current Updates. Since I only have one Surface to test with, I would like to hear from others if they can reproduce this issue.

To clarify: I can use the pen fine, it´s just the button that is causing the problem. Using the stylus in OneNote or Ink works as long as I´m not pressing the button of the pen.

OP
R

rbud

Thanks for testing. Maybe it´s a driver issue then. I just don´t want to do a complete OS reset if it´s not necessary.

OP
R

rbud

OK, I did a complete OS reset now. Since I got my hands on a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Version 1607 and this one was not having the same issues, I completely reinstalled Windows 10 Version 1607 on my Surface Pro 3 from an ISO (formatting the drive etc.). Immediately after installation, I established a Miracast connection and pressed the button on the Surface Pen. And the Miracast connection broke again.
Then I downloaded the latest Driver Package for the Surface Pro 3 and did the same test again with the same result.

Since it was a clean install and the drivers were updated, I can only assume that this is a general issue with all Surface Pro 3 devices, maybe (and hopefully) with one of the drives they are still shipping. As far as I remember on the release of the Surface Pro 4 there were bluetooth issues which have been fixed with driver updates.

So there might still be hope. The question is: Since I got forwarded from the Technet Forums to this site, do MS engineers read this forum here or is this a dead end?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I did a complete OS reset now. Since I got my hands on a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Version 1607 and this one was not having the same issues, I completely reinstalled Windows 10 Version 1607 on my Surface Pro 3 from an ISO (formatting the drive etc.). Immediately after installation, I established a Miracast connection and pressed the button on the Surface Pen. And the Miracast connection broke again.
Then I downloaded the latest Driver Package for the Surface Pro 3 and did the same test again with the same result.

Since it was a clean install and the drivers were updated, I can only assume that this is a general issue with all Surface Pro 3 devices, maybe (and hopefully) with one of the drives they are still shipping. As far as I remember on the release of the Surface Pro 4 there were bluetooth issues which have been fixed with driver updates.

So there might still be hope. The question is: Since I got forwarded from the Technet Forums to this site, do MS engineers read this forum here or is this a dead end?
We are an enthusiast forum - I'm a Surface MVP so I will forward your issue but honestly if you want direct interaction with MS post in their Official Forums here:

Surface - Microsoft Community

OP
R

rbud

Thank you very much. I´ll also create a post in that forum, just to be sure. It was quite a journey from the Technet Forums to here and to the MS Community :)
It would be great if there´s a fix for it, because Ink is awesome, especially in meetings.