What's new

Using Surface Pro 4 Pen as a mouse in PowerPoint 2016 instead of inking

HieuMTran

Previously using my Surface Pro 2, I was able to use the Surface pen as a mouse so I can handle objects, such as shapes as pictures in PowerPoint just as I would with a mouse. But now using a Surface Pro 4 the pen acts as a pen and the only thing it can do it write with ink and cannot work with objects.

This is a big disadvantage for me. I was wondering how I can turn off this feature so that I can use the pen as a mouse cursor again instead of inking.

The same issue happens on Word and Excel.

I find this very frustrating as I cannot get my work done.

I have tried this option:
1. Open Word or PowerPoint.

2. Click on Customize Quick Access Toolbar at the top left side of the application on the top of the ribbon.

3. Select Touch/Mouse mode.

4. Click on Optimize spacing between commands besides Customize Quick Access Toolbar and Select it toMouse mode.

BUT it doesn't work, it still acts as an ink pen

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Thank you

OP
H

HieuMTran

In the Pens menu at the top, click "Stop Inking"
Thanks for the reply.
However in the updated version of the program there is a DRAW menu only and it does not have the stop inking button.
I have located the Stop Inking button and put it onto the Quick Access Bar, but even clicking on that does nothing.
The pen will continue to ink anyway.

Thanks

edalsie

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried everything you showed in there but once I open up power point and tried to move objects around on the page, the ink appears.
:(

It doesn't help any with the problem, but I'm having the same issue with my SP3Pro as well.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you are using Office Insider Builds, the Pen now "inks" natively and is not a mouse, use can use touch for mouse actions. We are not sure if it is a Bug or Direction Change you can use the Feedback App to give your opinion.

dcoplien

edalsie

If you are using Office Insider Builds, the Pen now "inks" natively and is not a mouse, use can use touch for mouse actions. We are not sure if it is a Bug or Direction Change you can use the Feedback App to give your opinion.
Where would I find this 'Feedback App'? I have no interest in buying a separate mouse for my Surface Pro. I can't understand the rational.

dcoplien

Where would I find this 'Feedback App'? I have no interest in buying a separate mouse for my Surface Pro. I can't understand the rational.
I did this from Excel. I suspect it's the same for all of office 365 programs
1) File
2) Feed back
3) Sign into your account
4) Fill out the form

edalsie

I did this from Excel. I suspect it's the same for all of office 365 programs
1) File
2) Feed back
3) Sign into your account
4) Fill out the form

Thanks for pointing this out.
This inking/mouse issue seems to be top on the list. All I could do is to upvote, which is something, but I would prefer to yell a little so I feel like I'm doing something. :>)