What's new

Use This Gadget to Run EVERYTHING From Your USB 3.0...

mitchellvii

I just ordered this on Amazon:

Toshiba Dynadock Docking Station
Amazon.com: Toshiba Dynadock Docking Station (PA3927U1PRP): Computers & Accessories

Seems pretty cool. It is one docking station that plugs into your USB 3.0 port and allows you to run everything, including up to 2 external monitors, external speakers, ethernet, headphones, microphone, up to 4 USB 3.0 devices and more. Pricey at $130 but if it works worth every dime.

Sit at your desk, attach one cable and you are good to go.

71TFk6rZYnL._SL1500_.jpg
71cvZUrRcVL._SL1500_.jpg

* Will update post once I receive it to say if it works as advertised.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Looks good. But how do you run two monitors off it. And, what if you don't have USB 3.0 and are stuck with USB 2?

Edit: I guess it is compatible with USB2. But here is another option: Amazon.com: Targus USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking Station, works with Dell XPS, HP Folio, Toshiba Portege, Asus Zenbook, Samsung Series 9 Ultrabooks and major PC brands (ACP70USZ): Computers & Accessories And, here is another: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...tem.detail?GroupID=460&Code=0A33970#techspecs

What I am really interested in is to close my laptop screen and use two external monitors. The other benefits are additional!

Last edited:

Mattman3234

I'm actually using this dock with my surface pro right now. It works very well and I'm pleased with it. There were a few glitches with the software around issues it created with the active tiles in the metro screen but they just released a new version of the software and so for all is running smoothly (10-second delay launched "Metro" apps - Page 4 - DisplayLink Forum). Get the drivers directly from displaylink. I run 2 monitors, wireless keyboard and mouse, ethernet and typically another external drive. Seen no issues. Highly recommend especially with latest software load.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Thanks for the input guys. Got it, sending it back and here's why.

The HD 4000 Control Panel does not recognize the external monitors hooked up through this. That means you can't use the excellent color calibration tools and especially gamma adjustments available from Intel. My monitor just looked washed out. Everything else works fine but so would a $40 USB 3.0 hub.

Close no cigar.

P.S., Toshiba's Tech Support for Peripherals such as this is so laughably bad I almost don't know what to say about it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Thanks for the input guys. Got it, sending it back and here's why.

The HD 4000 Control Panel does not recognize the external monitors hooked up through this. That means you can't use the excellent color calibration tools and especially gamma adjustments available from Intel. My monitor just looked washed out. Everything else works fine but so would a $40 USB 3.0 hub.

Close no cigar.

P.S., Toshiba's Tech Support for Peripherals such as this is so laughably bad I almost don't know what to say about it.

Why not hook to the monitors directly to do the calibration and then once that is done use the dock?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Why not hook to the monitors directly to do the calibration and then once that is done use the dock?

That's not how it works. HD Control Panel only calibrates your monitor as long as it can see it. Comparing DisplayPort with the Dyna it is clear the Dyna image is not as rich. It is a tradeoff of convenience vs quality. You are just asking your USB 3.0 port to do too much at once.

J515OP

Super Moderator
That's not how it works. HD Control Panel only calibrates your monitor as long as it can see it. Comparing DisplayPort with the Dyna it is clear the Dyna image is not as rich. It is a tradeoff of convenience vs quality. You are just asking your USB 3.0 port to do too much at once.

I no expert on color calibration but it seems there should be a way to color calibrate independently of the monitor and have different profiles. So you are saying you can't do this unless the monitor is hooked directly up to your displayport? http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...color-calibration-profile-my-surface-pro.html. Are you going to Desktop>Control Panel>Color Management or trying to do something else?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I no expert on color calibration but it seems there should be a way to color calibrate independently of the monitor and have different profiles. So you are saying you can't do this unless the monitor is hooked directly up to your displayport? http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...color-calibration-profile-my-surface-pro.html. Are you going to Desktop>Control Panel>Color Management or trying to do something else?

What I am saying is that you cannot calibrate your monitor using the Intel HD 4000 Control Panel unless you are hooked to display port as the Control Panel simply will not see the monitor as existing. I like the HD 4000 Control Panel due to the outstanding Gamma Control which allows me to render text blacker. Other color settings can be handled just fine on the monitor itself but the Intel drivers give the best gamma options.