What's new

Use for Pen if I don't Draw

CaptainTime

I don't draw and I type faster than I can hand write. And my hand writing sucks.

So I have never used the Surface Pen.

Is there a use for it I am missing?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really depends on the context in which you use the surface.

For example I also type faster than I write, as I'm sure most people do. But I am a student and writing notes directly onto a powerpoint presentation is far more effective and efficient than trying to type notes alongside, or underneath etc. The same goes for research, it is far more efficient for me to highlight and annotate PDF's using the pen than with a mouse and keyboard. Then there is the consideration that research suggests that you will have better memory recall for written notes than typed notes.

Context is everything.

OP
CaptainTime

CaptainTime

Thanks hughlie,

I guess I was inspired by the Surface Studio YouTube ads. While the Surface Pro 3 doesn't have the capabilities of the Surface Studio, it made me wonder if I was missing some capabilities I wasn't using.

I tried to test the pen today and found the batteries are dead. I will order new batteries and watch some videos online on how to use the pen.

ScottyS

@hughlle's right, though one might type faster, handwriting notes results in better retention. Plus you can take notes right on a PowerPoint slide or pdf page. I also use the pen to mark up PowerPoint slides I'm presenting when giving a lecture and also when teaching I use OneNote as a whiteboard.

OP
CaptainTime

CaptainTime

Thanks ScottyS,

I am a speaker so I do a lot of presenting. I must admit I have been using the Surface Pro 3 during presentations in the same way as my old laptop. Just to show the PowerPoints. I usually do have a bluetooth mouse with it and a small presentation clicker to advance the slides.

The idea of marking up and highlighting PowerPoint slides is very intriguing as is the thought of using OneNote like a whiteboard.

I ordered new batteries for my Surface Pen yesterday. Hopefully they show up soon so I can try out some of these ideas.

ScottyS

Using OneNote as a whiteboard is even more intriguing when combined with OneDrive. By having the notebook file in a shared folder on OneDrive others can open it and see what you're writing, drawing, copying and pasting in real time. And they can be in the same room as you or anywhere in the world. And they can write or draw and everyone else with that notebook open will all see it.

garryknight

For me, the pen is far faster to use than a mouse. It takes a (short) while to get used to it, especially when grabbing and dragging scroll bars, but I very rarely ever use my mouse with my SP3 now.

Nys299

If you are in sales you will love the pen. I make use of One Note (Modern) with the click of the pen and do sales illustrations and concepts for buyers and the best thing is that I can write page after (new) page of sales illustrations without running out of paper and the best thing is that it autosaves to my One Drive. So many best things. And you know what? My clients were so impressed.

Oh and with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update....they introduced the Windows Ink Workspace and just like that even more uses for the pen.....sticky notes....screen grab annotations.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The pen is excellent for wrapping it carefully in paper, putting it into a small box, and sending it to ME.

Seriously, in time, and with a little bit of an explorer's heart, you will find apps or uses for the pen.

bluegrass

Just for reference, in the future you can pick up both battery types that the pen uses at Walgreens.
Thanks ScottyS,

I am a speaker so I do a lot of presenting. I must admit I have been using the Surface Pro 3 during presentations in the same way as my old laptop. Just to show the PowerPoints. I usually do have a bluetooth mouse with it and a small presentation clicker to advance the slides.

The idea of marking up and highlighting PowerPoint slides is very intriguing as is the thought of using OneNote like a whiteboard.

I ordered new batteries for my Surface Pen yesterday. Hopefully they show up soon so I can try out some of these ideas.