What's new

USB power on dock after shut down

remanus

Hi,
any idea how i turn off the power on the dock usb ports after i shut down the spro3?

My external hd keeps spinning even when i shut down the surface pro.

OP
R

remanus

strange that you two see this as solutions. I bought the dock for not having to put in cables all the time. And the options u give me i can do without the dock aswell.

I just want to know if there is a option to turn off the power from the usb without unpluging or anything.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It happens on my non-Microsoft dock as well with all of my laptops. The dock manufacturer denies any knowledge of the issue. What kind of HD is it?

malberttoo

strange that you two see this as solutions. I bought the dock for not having to put in cables all the time. And the options u give me i can do without the dock aswell.

I just want to know if there is a option to turn off the power from the usb without unpluging or anything.

This would be standard behavior on ANY powered USB hub. I have 2 hubs in my office, exact same thing. You'll have to adjust your workflow if you don't want the drive spinning up, but as long as there's power to it, it will run. And that has nothing to do with the Surface Dock.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above, hence my previous post. It is a powered hub, it is doing what it was designed to do. Maybe it was not designed "well" in that maybe there could be a switch on the dock to turn on and off the usb power, but it's the way it, and nearly all, are designed. Possibly for a good reason.

And to me, the dock is not to stop me having to plug in or unplug a cable, but rather 4-6 cables (audio, power, usb hub, dongles, video) and the inevitable tangle all those cables will eventually create. I'd have no issue unplugging one usb cable.

Also, you'd have to take action to turn off the usb power, which in terms of effort and time involved would be very little different to just unplugging one usb cable.

OP
R

remanus

i just hoped it would be a windows driver setting or a bios thing. I know there are motherboards that have this option.

I did not know that the usb port was powered, and tought it was just linked trough the surface pro when connected.

Well i just have to do with unplugging the usb cable then, thanks for the answers.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, for certain people, such as yourself, it is unfortunate. But it is essentially nothing more than a powered USB hub with the addition of network and video output.

I imagine part of their thinking (despite marketing the sp3 at students!) Is that people buying it and the dock are professional, with a separate office space aside from their bedroom, so noise or blinking led lights are irrelevant. But as you have experienced, not everyone has that luxuary, especially students, so it would be nice to have a little switch on the back to cut power to the USB ports. Or just a switch that turned off the entire dock features other than powder to the surface.

Maybe you should email ms. It is a fairly genuine issue IMO and hardly beyond the realms of possibility to ammend.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use this, sometimes directly from my Surface Pro 3 port, and sometimes from my docking station port.

Note the switch to disconnect the USB power connection. The power is USB-sourced only. Also adds a card reader, including SDXC capability. Enhances the dock. I keep it tucked behind.

Only costs about US$15

http://www.amazon.com/Hapurs-Portable-USB3-0-reader-Switch/dp/B00KZEAR9A

image.jpg

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use this, sometimes directly from my Surface Pro 3 port, and sometimes from my docking station port.

Note the switch to disconnect the USB power connection. Also adds a card reader, including SDXC capability. Enhances the dock. I keep it tucked behind.

Only costs about US$15

http://www.amazon.com/Hapurs-Portable-USB3-0-reader-Switch/dp/B00KZEAR9A

View attachment 6080

That looks pretty nifty. Do you have the odds and sods available to see if daisychaining that with a USB HDD works?